What's new

vxm's sketchbook that Surfaced (tm)

vxm

Hey everyone,

I don't want to spam thread in General Discussion forums, so I'll be posting my works here. Most of the time it's SP3+ Corel Painter 2015, sometimes with few tidbits done in PS. Comments and critics always welcome (ofc I'd rather get something constructive, as I'm aspiring artist and I'm still learning the trade).

To start with, here are some finished pieces done in recent weeks:
DqsKrWk.jpg

DDBXkmO.jpg

F3Gyllj.jpg

BPkeaLs.jpg

I also have some sketchy ideas for future stuff, I'm working hard to get them done :)

Cheers!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing constructive to say, i can't draw or paint to save my life. But i love that landscape picture :) to the extent that it's my new desktop background.

Reactions: vxm

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I should add that this is also the depressing thing about electronic art. If that were hand-painted and framed, i would have happily paid hundreds of pounds, i like it that much. But as digital art, whether it's on a computer or printed onto canvas, i wouldn't pay. I hope your talent also extends to "real" art as well, evidently you have talent.

OP
vxm

vxm

I should add that this is also the depressing thing about electronic art. If that were hand-painted and framed, i would have happily paid hundreds of pounds, i like it that much. But as digital art, whether it's on a computer or printed onto canvas, i wouldn't pay. I hope your talent also extends to "real" art as well, evidently you have talent.

As a digital painter, I frequently meet with that sort of thinking. In reality, I don't have big red button called "generate graphics/art/concept/etc. My medium has advantage of having couple levels of "undo" but that is mostly it- and I'm not compelled to use it. It really comes down to matter of client needs and skills I have (which come mostly from traditional art).

I perfectly understand your statement that traditional art has its added value- that is true most of the time- traditional art takes considerably more time per piece to finish, it's more demanding when you take into account mastering of given medium, plus it has added value of being "true" too (not to mention those being recognizable are true masters of given style or theme).
Concept art is usually about quantities and due to it being quicker way of achieving given goal, it's a lot cheaper. On the other hand painting something on PC gives you relative freedom, it's fast and it's reliable, plus you are free to experiment with different ideas as much as you want. Piece you liked so much took me around 16 hours to finish- I can't say it's quick, but it's very relative in that field- some people can achieve that effect in one hour, some might spend days- digital painting is pure relativism

My dream job is drawing for a living, and as such SP3 is doing great, because my workshop is constantly with me and it already managed to earn it's value with various assignments and jobs- I'd lie if I said I'm total amateur, but I'm far from "serious games industry guy(AAA)" or true artist too.

OP
vxm

vxm

new sketch from me :)
Izsk7Fc.jpg
im exploring subject of funky colors and woman portraits- here somewhat mangish, but I wanted to keep it quick and not soak into details and refining :) This time it's mostly Photoshop

OP
vxm

vxm

hello everyone!

I've been busy lately with some slightly more finished pieces, first one is more or less done (requires some tweaks and minor changes) and second, with mech and soldiers is work in progress and part of bigger piece I'm doing in my free time :) Comments and critics are always welcome! :)
jAI2gXm.jpg

AjKGPIV.jpg

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome stuff vxm and I'm liking seeing some of the sketchy sketches laying the groundwork.
As a photographer I find that quite depressing also. Would you never pay for a photograph? It takes seconds to shoot, and a lot less time to edit than digital art - but it is also worthless?