What's new

Wake from sleep

Nutmegz

Anyone else having trouble with the SP4 not waking from sleep. I just get an off screen all the time until I hold the power button to reset the device.

TheCudder

Same here. I'm sure this links back to the other issues found with the Intel HD 520 drivers --- loss of touch screen, random driver crashes, failure to wake from sleep.

polbit

Same here... My 2nd SP4 lost the touchscreen for good (tried cold boots, refresh, restore, no go), and now on my 3rd - the biggest difference so far is that 1/3 the time coming out of sleep/hibernate, the screen never turns on - have to cold boot it. I have such a love/hate relationship with this thing...

Neil Uher II

I had the Same issue and this worked for me. Click the battery icon on the Taskbar, Power and Sleep Settings, Additional Power setting (all the way at the bottom), Change Plan settings, Change Advanced Power Settings, Change Settings that are currently unavailable (at the top), then under sleep > Hibernate after > change to never. Also, check to make sure that Your Screen saver isn't set to "blank". Windows 10 seems to fix this for me for me with my SP3 but this is what I used to do.

JordanAT

Yup, just spend 10 minutes trying to revive my SP4. It went to "sleep" (if you can call 10% battery drain per hour "asleep") then wouldn't wake up. The keyboard light came on and off, ctrl-alt-delete made a nice charm sound, but nothing happened until I power-vol force reset the machine. This is a no-go for my primary machine where I could have unsaved work on the desktop when it falls "asleep" ten requires a hard power cycle to awaken.

pr0t3ct

Same issue here, mine also looses a lot of battery power while 'sleeping'. I was told there would be a software update coming to fix this. Super annoying issue for an otherwise beautiful device. After years of apple home use only I have a really hard time accepting this type of issue.

magmar

Same issue with not being able to wake my surface from "sleep" and it drains my batter super super fast when it's "sleeping"

JordanAT

Same issue here, mine also looses a lot of battery power while 'sleeping'. I was told there would be a software update coming to fix this. Super annoying issue for an otherwise beautiful device. After years of apple home use only I have a really hard time accepting this type of issue.

Last night after my required-reboot (and some work), I plugged my sp4 back into the Surface Dock and only my desktop monitor came on - the SP4 screen was blank. Since I had the external monitor hooked up, I went to the display properties and there was no other monitor detected by the graphics card. After I manually detected monitors, the SP4 screen came back up. Something in the screen sleep is causing the monitor to disconnect/get de-registered.

Next time this happens I'm going to try Win+P twice (switch to projector and back), and if that doesn't work I've written a short batch file and associated it with ctrl-alt-P to force a switch to an external monitor and then back to the internal monitor. Of course, I've disabled connected sleep in the registry now - I can't spend my entire work day dealing with and troubleshooting sleep/wake issues.

pmm0724

I have the same issue. I turned off the screen saver, but that didn't help. When I looked at the network driver it says,
Device PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&SUBSYS_045E0003&REV_00\4&91a2562&0&00E8 requires further installation.

JordanAT

FWIW the Win+P (x2) trick works to wake the screen on my SP4. So if it looks like your SP4 isn't coming out of sleep, but the keyboard cover lights up, press Win+P twice (send to projector, bring back to internal screen) and it should re-connect the internal display.

Annoying, but hopefully will be fixed with this week's emergency SP4 update MS has promised.

Nuspieds

...Next time this happens I'm going to try Win+P twice (switch to projector and back), and if that doesn't work I've written a short batch file and associated it with ctrl-alt-P to force a switch to an external monitor and then back to the internal monitor. Of course, I've disabled connected sleep in the registry now - I can't spend my entire work day dealing with and troubleshooting sleep/wake issues.
I tried that on my SB this morning and still no luck; it just wouldn't recognize my external monitors.

I also have a batch file that I wrote and used for my SP2 for when things got out-of-whack every now and then. The batch file was--I would say--99% reliable and it also handled by DisplayLink-connected monitor.

So of course when I started to experience these issues on my SB, I returned to using my batch file. Unfortunately, useless! :mad: I'd say <1% reliable.

EMINENT

Have you guys tried the light press of volume down and power? Not holding them down for a reset. Works for me when I get the occasional black screen.