What's new

Want to Skip Password on Restart

DavidZ

I have 2 SP4s. One is an M3 and the other an i5.

I want to be able to restart both SP4s without a password. Based on an Internet search, I ran netplwiz.exe and unchecked the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." This fix worked on one SP4 but not the other.

More Internet searching found that, if the above remedy doesn't work, there's a registry edit that I can try. I'm very hesitant to do registry edits and will only do so as a last resort.

Why does the above fix work on one SP4 but not the other? The only difference I can think of is the SP4 that's still prompting me for a password on restart has a user name (in addition to my email address for my MS account) while the SP4 that restarts without a password doesn't have a user name.

leeshor

That should work. Do you have a local account on both as well as a Microsoft account. Are you logged in with the local account?

If all else fails try ticking the box again. Restart and try unticking it.

OP
D

DavidZ

That should work. Do you have a local account on both as well as a Microsoft account. Are you logged in with the local account?
No, I don't. I saw that, but I don't understand what it means, Further, I don't understand the whole login process. For example, am I logging into my PC or am I also logging into my MS account? What is a local account? Is this all explained somewhere?

If all else fails try ticking the box again. Restart and try unticking it.
I did that many times.

leeshor

Go settings - accounts and you can create a local account there. That doesn't keep things like OneDrive from syncing. I'm just tossing that out as a possible solution. I don't know where there is a specific guide that discusses local vs MS accounts but there probably is one somewhere.

OP
D

DavidZ

Go settings - accounts and you can create a local account there. That doesn't keep things like OneDrive from syncing. I'm just tossing that out as a possible solution. I don't know where there is a specific guide that discusses local vs MS accounts but there probably is one somewhere.

Thanks. I created a local account and now it starts without a password or lock screen. Funny thing is, based on an Internet search, I had to shut down and power up to get rid of the lock screen. Just restarting got rid of the password, but not the lock screen.