What's new

Wanted: Method to Quickly Turn OFF Screen (Without Inducing Sleep)

mohcho

I think the reality is that you have to give up the notion of using CS as a function of legacy Windows. There are many areas where the two are not compatible and power management is one of them. If you cannot/do not want to move to the new ecosystem, you can disable CS and use SP3 as a regular Windows device. You will then be able to turn off power to the monitor without having the machine go to sleep. But you can't do this and keep CS at the same time. You'll just have to choose which is more important to you.

I HAVE disabled CS and it still doesn't work the way I want it to. I want to be able to hit a button or menu option to turn off the screen WITHOUT putting the SP3 to sleep instead of having it time out after a while if idle.

zhenya

I HAVE disabled CS and it still doesn't work the way I want it to. I want to be able to hit a button or menu option to turn off the screen WITHOUT putting the SP3 to sleep instead of having it time out after a while if idle.

I guess I don't understand why you would disable CS given what you want from your device. It is designed to do exactly what you want. The computer may technically be 'asleep' but it wakes instantaneously so who cares? This is like saying you want the 'power' button on your phone to only turn the screen off. What's the point other than wasting battery?

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

I guess I don't understand why you would disable CS given what you want from your device. It is designed to do exactly what you want. The computer may technically be 'asleep' but it wakes instantaneously so who cares? This is like saying you want the 'power' button on your phone to only turn the screen off. What's the point other than wasting battery?
I explained why I only wanted to turn the screen off. The reasons are pretty obvious, I would think.

zhenya

I explained why I only wanted to turn the screen off. The reasons are pretty obvious, I would think.

Well, I wasn't responding to you, but even in your case I think the power button putting the device into CS would work fine. What's going to happen? It's going to temporarily interrupt any torrents you have going which matters not at all as the bit-torrent protocol is expressly designed to allow interruptions in the data stream. Turning the device back on from CS vs. from screen off will happen in exactly the same amount of time on the SP3.

Further, as I mentioned before, there are several simple ways in Win 8 to switch away from one window to another instantaneously which would seem to negate the need to turn off the screen entirely - and raise far fewer eyebrows for the person who is going to wonder why you are suddenly sitting in front of a blank screen.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Well, I wasn't responding to you, but even in your case I think the power button putting the device into CS would work fine. What's going to happen? It's going to temporarily interrupt any torrents you have going which matters not at all as the bit-torrent protocol is expressly designed to allow interruptions in the data stream. Turning the device back on from CS vs. from screen off will happen in exactly the same amount of time on the SP3.

Further, as I mentioned before, there are several simple ways in Win 8 to switch away from one window to another instantaneously which would seem to negate the need to turn off the screen entirely - and raise far fewer eyebrows for the person who is going to wonder why you are suddenly sitting in front of a blank screen.
First of all, what I plan on doing with a blank screen should matter not to you - nor anyone else. If I want my screen to show pink polka-dots flashing pixie dust and magical unicorns at me in the middle of the night, that's my business. Trying to figure a way to do it, well, that's your business, buckaroo. (if you should so choose)

For the record, I don't download torrents, I download .NZB's (all shareware may I add =) ) which do NOT utilize your fancy-schmancy protocol you so eloquently pointed out there. A sleep cycle would indeed disturb the downloading of the former, hence why I'd like to achieve such screen-blanking bliss.

It should also be known that I don't care about raising eyebrows or people wondering why I'm sitting in front of a blank screen -- let 'em think I'm insane, FFS.

zhenya

First of all, what I plan on doing with a blank screen should matter not to you - nor anyone else. If I want my screen to show pink polka-dots flashing pixie dust and magical unicorns at me in the middle of the night, that's my business. Trying to figure a way to do it, well, that's your business, buckaroo.

For the record, I don't download torrents, I download .NZB's (all shareware may I add =) ) which do NOT utilize your fancy-schmancy protocol you so eloquently pointed out there. A sleep cycle would indeed disturb the downloading of the former, hence why I'd like to achieve such screen-blanking bliss.

It should also be known that I don't care about raising eyebrows or people wondering why I'm sitting in front of a blank screen -- let 'em think I'm insane, FFS.

Again, you responded to me.

Personally, I think you're a little insane bouncing between this thread and the other sleep thread saying in one that you want CS but in this one that you don't. Go ahead and make a work-around for shutting down the screen when there are easily accessible standard ways of accomplishing what you want. Who are we to try to make things simpler for you?

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Again, you responded to me.

A keen observation, indeed!

"Personally, I think you're a little insane bouncing between this thread and the other sleep thread saying in one that you want CS but in this one that you don't. Go ahead and make a work-around for shutting down the screen when there are easily accessible standard ways of accomplishing what you want. Who are we to try to make things simpler for you?"

Aren't we all a little insane?

And I'm indecisive, not sure whether or not to enable/disable CS.

Please, explain this easy standard way of simply shutting off the screen, bc I haven't heard of an easy fix AOY (as of yet).

zhenya

Windows does not have an easy way of shutting the screen off by a hotkey, shortcut or button. If you want that functionality, OSX has it built in to every Mac as a keyboard shortcut.

Given that what you want does not exist in Windows, you've been offered many alternative solutions to effectively achieve what you want through different means that are standard. You want people to not see what's on your screen. Instead of turning off the screen, just switch screens through a swipe or keyboard shortcut. Another option is Win-L which will lock the computer immediately bringing you away from the screen you are working on.

Another option is to run the batch script here https://social.technet.microsoft.co.../shortcut-to-turn-off-display?forum=w7itproui which should work, but there will be a slight delay of 1 second, and I'd be surprised if it works as reliably as just switching screens.

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

Windows does not have an easy way of shutting the screen off by a hotkey, shortcut or button. If you want that functionality, OSX has it built in to every Mac as a keyboard shortcut.

Given that what you want does not exist in Windows, you've been offered many alternative solutions to effectively achieve what you want through different means that are standard. You want people to not see what's on your screen. Instead of turning off the screen, just switch screens through a swipe or keyboard shortcut. Another option is Win-L which will lock the computer immediately bringing you away from the screen you are working on.

Another option is to run the batch script here https://social.technet.microsoft.co.../shortcut-to-turn-off-display?forum=w7itproui which should work, but there will be a slight delay of 1 second, and I'd be surprised if it works as reliably as just switching screens.

Thanks. Honestly, I don't care if the Pope sees whats on my screen; I want the screen OFF to conserve precious battery life. Nothing more, and nothing less. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have to consider all possibilities. Perhaps he already knows there's not a solution to this specific scenario (It's not like this wasn't beaten to death on many forums) and he's just a drama hound trying to stir the pot for his own satisfaction. :) gotcha

OP
ChrisPanzer

ChrisPanzer

You have to consider all possibilities. Perhaps he already knows there's not a solution to this specific scenario (It's not like this wasn't beaten to death on many forums) and he's just a drama hound trying to stir the pot for his own satisfaction. :) gotcha
Got me, bastard!