What's new

Was about to buy SP3 when saw this bad review on Youtube?

johnfrisco

First off hello! I have been reading this forum for awhile and decided to purchase the SP3 until I saw this review on YouTube, which causes me hesitation.

She says watching movies, Netflix etc. is aweful because dark grays are purple and there is only a little calibration with MS driver. You can download Intel's driver, but some say it fixes the calibration issue and others say it doesn't.

So what's the truth. Thanks!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The truth is, Surface Pro 3 is a wonderful machine for movie / video viewing.
Another truth is, you can always find something negative about anything. Even using the name, 'Frisco'. :)

Welcome to the forum, John. If that is your real name. :)

leeshor

I take things like this with a few grains of salt. I have e good friend who works for a software/service company in Atlanta as their IT director. On my last visit to his office I pointedly asked how his Surface units are working. They have somewhere North of 2 dozen with a combination of SP1s 2s and 3s. They do a ton of video conferencing, presentations and even some YouTube stuff. Not one of the units they have has ever needed any service nor have any had any problems, not a one of them.

The person I am talking about is the type of person who wouldn't have hesitated to tell me if they ever had even the slightest of problems. The majority of the Surface tablets are take home units and they VPN back to the office and travel quite a bit to there other offices. It seems the Surface tablets they have purchased are all rock solid.

OP
J

johnfrisco

Thanks for both of your replies! I am a long time Mac and PC user and don't make big purchases that often. I am underwhelmed at Apple's latest offering. I was kinda torn between the SP3 and a Macbook model--I know they make quality machines. But even if I went Mac I would use it primarily on Windows via BootCamp anyway (Access Developer). I just don't trust brands like Dell.

I have always liked Microsoft's keyboards and Mice. I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the SP3--I would wait until SP4, but I need a portable now and simply can't wait.

I will keep you informed on my adventure into uncharted territory for me. By the way what's your take on the Arc Bluetooth mouse? Any suggestions on a nice case for it? I guess I will get the SP3 bundle.

Thanks again,

John

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
First off hello! I have been reading this forum for awhile and decided to purchase the SP3 until I saw this review on YouTube, which causes me hesitation.

She says watching movies, Netflix etc. is aweful because dark grays are purple and there is only a little calibration with MS driver. You can download Intel's driver, but some say it fixes the calibration issue and others say it doesn't.

So what's the truth. Thanks!
Here is my thoughts, number one she is coming from a MacBook Pro, she hasn't updated the firmware which is obvious because of some of her complaints and she has no use case for using an Ultrabook Class Tablet... i.e. doesn't see a reason for the Pen, only interested in typing and she feels her hands are too small for tablet use.

As others have said, take this with a huge grain of salt, feels bias off the bat....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In 2 years of reviews her only review of a Windows Device is the SP3 the rest are Apple or Android....(a couple of Blackberry devices).

ScottyS

While watching this video, if I didn't already have a SP3 I would have run out and gotten one. I thought she was giving it a great review. Except for her calibration issue (and most reviews of the screen are quite good, see http://www.displaymate.com/Surface_Pro_ShootOut_1.htm for example), I took her comments to be very positive. And I love the pen. I don't draw with it (wish I had the talent to do that) but I handwrite notes in OneNote using both the keyboard text to type as well as handwriting on the page, use it as a white board while teaching, etc.

And I'd like, once and for all, put to rest the issue of where to put the pen...
Pen Holder.JPG

benjitek

...I am a long time Mac and PC user and don't make big purchases that often...
If you need isn't immediate, wait for the SP4, it'll likely be a better version of the SP3. Since you don't make big purchases often, wait a few months and re-evaluate your choices.

VickiFL

I saw her review before I bought my SP3. To me, she seemed a bit negative towards the device. I didn't even factor her opinion into my purchase.

@toaf G'Kar was my favorite character of Andreas Katsulas. That's a cute avatar/picture. :)