What's new

Well dang.. finally dropped it

BillsCarnage

Yup. I've had the SP3 since its launch and while it has has a few small drops, this time it finally cracked the screen in both corners. The left crack is only on the bezel and corner, but I noticed one on the right that went into the screen area.

Now the touch screen doesn't work at all. Is there anyway to get the touch screen working again, or is it kaput?

Amazon has the exact same model (i5, 8gb, 256gb) new for $600, so I may just buy a new one.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry about that.

Such is a downside of small portable electronics. We big biomasses tend to drop them.

OP
B

BillsCarnage

Replacing the screen is pricey and difficult :(

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Display Replacement - iFixit
Yeah, but if the screen is already busted i don't have to worry about damaging it. ;) Looks like new screens are about $200. The bigger problem is the corners are bent slightly, so I'd need to be able get the bend out before putting the new screen on.

And just like that the new one I bought lasted a whooping 6wks... Oy vey. I believe the ssd is toast as during recovery it says it's unable to find the drive or it's locked.

convergent

Yeah, but if the screen is already busted i don't have to worry about damaging it. ;) Looks like new screens are about $200. The bigger problem is the corners are bent slightly, so I'd need to be able get the bend out before putting the new screen on.

And just like that the new one I bought lasted a whooping 6wks... Oy vey. I believe the ssd is toast as during recovery it says it's unable to find the drive or it's locked.

My experience with magnesium is that it doesn't just bend very easily. That's one of the reason its used. So I think you are better off getting a replacement.