What's new

went from 20gb to 11.1 gb WITHOUT DOING A THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fastfed

This is F@#$%^ nuts! I mean seriously MS! WTF kind of idiots do they really have?? I always defend MS and actually like most of their products, but maybe people are right!

So I bought my Surface 2 on launch day, because I loved the Surface RT so much, I just had to get the new one. I got the 32gb version, stupid me, but I don't plan on using much data, and have a 64gb SD card.

I've been having problems with my Surface lately, the stupid Touch 2 keyboard wasn't working all the time and to be honest I was out of space completely. I really had maybe 3 apps installed.

I just did a complete reformat/recovery thing, not saving my old files but choosing the option that says "To return the device or get rid of it"

After it was done I had like 20 or a little more GB free of space.. Sure it kind of sucked when almost 50% of the space is gone already, but whatever.. So after update and update I am now sitting here at 11.1GB of free space

I HAVE NOT EVEN TOUCHED THE THING YET!!

This cannot be possible, there has to be a way to free up this stuff, MS cannot be this stupid and think people can survive on 10gb of space.. It 2014, browsing cache can be that big (lol)

Anyone have any thoughts ? or tricks here?
thasnk

OP
F

fastfed

10.4 now!! AHAHAHA I can't stop it, this is too funny! serioulsy.. I just did a disk clean up and another update..

kundas1

also I would backup your recovery part on a USB and then delete it to add 7GB... that's what I did on my old Surface 1 32GB... then it was all good.

EMINENT

Do you have Onedrive optioned to make files available offline on your Surface?

If so, this could be using a lot of storage on the device. I have mine set to only available online only.

Also, check to see if you have a Windows.old folder hogging up space. Windows creates this when you do a refresh. You can delete it if you don't need it.

I have 8.97gb available of 25.3. Of that, I only have 4.71gb in apps.

So, I would've had almost 14gb to begin with after all the 8.1 updates. If I wanted, I could delete the recovery and gain 7 back for a total of 16gb, but I don't need it.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Do you have Onedrive optioned to make files available offline on your Surface?

If so, this could be using a lot of storage on the device. I have mine set to only available online only.

Alternatively, it is always possible to change the location of the OneDrive folder to the SD Card (assuming the OP is using one) and keep the "offline" capability available. It's very convenient!

ld24

10.4 now!! AHAHAHA I can't stop it, this is too funny! serioulsy.. I just did a disk clean up and another update..

Yeah, chill out Lol I almost guarantee you its just a system dump. Go to disk cleanup and select the clean up system files button. It reruns and you can delete the dump. The backup, skydiver cache moving both help, too.