What's new

What do you do with the keyboard when using Surface as a tablet?

nipponham

I used to detach the keyboard and leave it on a table when in tablet mode but now I detach, flip it around, reattach and fold it behind the screen. This way the keys are protected from unnecessary mashing and the felt cover of the keyboard provides a more tactile feel when holding Surface. (Plus, I don’t have to worry about my kid using the keyboard cover as a Frisbee:))

I can do this with SP3 and I’m assuming you can do this with other versions of Surface as well…

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Either leave it on and fold it back or do what you say and reverse it. Sometimes I take it off and put it in my bag.

millertime_1985

I just reverse it.
Folding it back always worried me, especially with the material being at risk of being pulled out of the 'spine'... as happened with earlier produced keyboard/covers

Morgan

I just fold it back when I use it as a tablet. Or I fold it back and put the kickstand on top of the cover to watch movies or podcasts.

Nuspieds

Both for me, too, depending on the situation.

There are times when I know I will need interaction with the physical keyboard from every now and then, so I flip it back; other times I know that I am in full tablet/touch mode only, so I ditch it.

Wayne Orwig

I used to take it off all of the time. Then I found you could just fold it back. But it is getting damaged from being folded back that far. So now I take it off most of the time again.

Last edited: