What's new

What do you do with the keyboard when using Surface as a tablet?

OP
nipponham

nipponham

I used to take it off all of the time. Then I found you could just fold it back. But it is getting damaged from being folder back that far. So now I take it off most of the time again.
True, if you fold the cover back as is from its originally intended position, the material around the "hinge" part will tear and fray. However, if you do the reverse flip, it bends naturally and won't tear.

Rugbyguy541

I like to fold it back because if I am using it in tablet mode, I am usually using it on my lap, and the folded back keyboard makes for a great platform instead of just having the kickstand on my leg.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my keyboard has died. I feel it is related to the damage from being flipped backwards. Rats.
With the Keyboard attached do the Hard Reset (aka - 2 finger boot), Power Down then Hold the Volume Rocker Up while powering on to enter the UEFI Screen Exit and allow to reboot. See if the keyboard comes back....

Wayne Orwig

With the Keyboard attached do the Hard Reset (aka - 2 finger boot), Power Down then Hold the Volume Rocker Up while powering on to enter the UEFI Screen Exit and allow to reboot. See if the keyboard comes back....
The keyboard works. But about 1/3 of the keys will only work if I bend the keyboard just a certain way. Apparently a cracked flex circuit.

goodintentions

I used to detach the keyboard and leave it on a table when in tablet mode but now I detach, flip it around, reattach and fold it behind the screen. This way the keys are protected from unnecessary mashing and the felt cover of the keyboard provides a more tactile feel when holding Surface. (Plus, I don’t have to worry about my kid using the keyboard cover as a Frisbee:))

I can do this with SP3 and I’m assuming you can do this with other versions of Surface as well…
True story. When the iPad first came out, my sister bought it for her husband. One time I was on the phone with my sister and she was telling me how her husband was on that iPad all the time when I heard her scream "Derek, NO!" and then a loud crashing noise. Her 4 year old used it as a Frisbee.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
True story. When the iPad first came out, my sister bought it for her husband. One time I was on the phone with my sister and she was telling me how her husband was on that iPad all the time when I heard her scream "Derek, NO!" and then a loud crashing noise. Her 4 year old used it as a Frisbee.
Alternative uses are unlimited... could be used for a snowboard, cheese tray... :D