What's new

What gripes, if any, do you have about the Surface RT?

borka105

Mine close as soon as I touch the x.

I can use a finger and the screen and scroll text while reading without issue. When reflowing text it does take a second to clear but literally just a second. Apple does this differently and I would say it is quicker for the clearing of text. I have seen it discussed where there are other trade offs (I believe it is that more of the page is checker boarded because it isn't loaded) but either way, it is ok if Apple flat out does this best even without compromise. There is nothing wrong with somebody being better than the others at text reflow. What the Surface offers isn't horrible or even substandard but not the best either.

This is strictly a site compatibility and web administrator issue. It isn't fully compatible with IE's standards and that isn't the fault of MS or IE they can't control how others set up their own websites.

I agree they should have been better than they are (they are below average) but for me the front camera works fine for skyping and I don't use it for anything else so it wouldn't have mattered ;)

Not sure how you figure this. You must be referring to the RT screen. The pixel density is enough to be crisp and clear. While I would prefer a higher PPI in the range of 200+ the clear type does a good job of boosting the perceived clarity near this range. The bonus is that in desktop mode things are usable without scaling issues. The resolution chosen is a standard resolution and makes a very good compromise for what the RT needs to do.

Have you applied the updates and made the appropriate adjustments in settings? The Surface is on par with other tablets for volume.

Only screen resolution, camera and to some degree the sound (though small speakers even laptop size have always had this compromise) are hardware issues. The rest are software issues. This is also a first generation device with first generation areas that can be improved. Again it doesn't have so much to do with being premium as being new. The screen and camera resolutions are well publicized, if you need a higher resolution than this isn't the tablet your are looking for regardless of being "premium".

Yep these are all gripes but there are differences between gripes and personal preferences as well. One of these things has absolutely nothing to do with the Surface at all. There is always the next generation to look forward to and I am sure there will be faster processors, higher screen resolutions and better battery life :D

For a couple of the issues, if you are experiencing some lag you might want to make sure you are updated. If so and you are experiencing issues anyway you might want to try a refresh.

I am with the others though that the specs are well publicized and you know what you are getting. It isn't really a Surface issue but a self imposed gripe if you buy a certain screen resolution and then say it is too low. Gripes are things like the mail app, the power plug, the book marks in IE Modern, etc. As a first generation device and knowing what you are getting into it is really a good machine. It isn't perfect but there is nothing else that is either. Maybe I should open a constructive criticism thread instead ;)

To start, I have done all the updates. I will give you the point on the screen resolution and camera since these are a stated hardware specs.. the other items I believe are quirks, but we can each have our own opinions...

One item, I would like you to expand on is the Volume on the Surface. Can you please explain what updates to make in settings to increase the volume? I've installed all the updates so that is not the issue.

J515OP

Super Moderator
To start, I have done all the updates. I will give you the point on the screen resolution and camera since these are a stated hardware specs.. the other items I believe are quirks, but we can each have our own opinions...

One item, I would like you to expand on is the Volume on the Surface. Can you please explain what updates to make in settings to increase the volume? I've installed all the updates so that is not the issue.

Sure. Sorry if that was a little confusing I was both answering some of your issues that might be resolvable as well as mixing in some thoughts about what I consider gripes. Mainly that I share the opinion of some of the others that I can't really call it a gripe if I knew about it coming in. More like a hopefull suggestion for v2 ;)

As to the helping with sound part try here http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/3601-surface-pro-speakers.html. It isn't going to be a 300W system or anything but these tips might help :D

R0bR

Love my RT, the best feature is you can't install desktop apps which is why I bought it as opposed to waiting for Pro or getting an Atom based tablet. The store sucks, it could go days without any change at all and often high profile titles are not even ever advertised. I'm fine with not many apps be available being a new eco system and all but the drop in daily released apps is concerning, Windows 8 and RT apps are down to a crawl. More concerning is that MS is doing little about it, then again it's no different than it was on WP7. I think we need Nokia to get their tablet out so that they can start to drive the ecosystem like they are doing for Windows phones.