What's new

What is this battery hog?

cvc988

+ USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller (\_SB.PCI0.XHC)

Checking out the sleep study and it says this is the top offender, keeping my PC engaged the entire time it has been on battery?

OP
C

cvc988

Yea this is definitely pretty crazy. Only been off the charger for about 90 minutes, down to 72% and battery bar says 1:36 remaining. How is that possible? I'm at like 40% brightness. Is there any sort of calibration period with this thing?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you applied all of the Updates? This is either the Keyboard Cover or something plugged into the USB Port. Most likely its the Keyboard Cover.

If you applied the Updates and are still seeing it, other have fixed it by doing a refresh of the device.

ctitanic

I read somewhere that to get the updates for the keyboard you have to type at least 50 words on it per month. Something like that.

CreativeLemming

I read somewhere that to get the updates for the keyboard you have to type at least 50 words on it per month. Something like that.
Sounds crazy, but it's probably true - as I understand it, quite a lot of the keyboard driver updates are for the 'telemetry' driver, which sends your keyboard usage patterns back to Microsoft for analysis. If you barely use your keyboard, it makes sense for them not to target you. I would guess this 'words per month' limit doesn't apply to keyboard drivers that actually add/fix functionality rather than those that send data back to the mother ship.

dstrauss

I was plagued with this before and after the first update - that's when I did the dreaded reset (just before the 7/16 second WiFi update) and haven't seen it since.

OP
C

cvc988

So I actually have a replacement surface coming. Is there any special order or anything to install updates in, etc?