What's new

What is your average battery life on your SP3?

what is your avg sp3 battery life?

• Total voters

Rowan

I use my surface almost constantly for 6 hours to drain it down to about 15%. That includes engineering software usage, some video, bright screen, and boosted powered to wireless (since that was an issue). 6 hours is so much more than I used to get on my laptop with these settings and rarely am I away from a plug when working this intensely.

daonei

My numbers are horrid... I ran the battery report and my estimated battery life since OS install is under 5 hours... That's pretty bad, right? My fan is basically ALWAYS running and I barely run any apps (Word and a few Chrome pages).

At one point, I got above 6 hours. But one time I left my SP3 on and when I came back half an hour later, the screen had gone out and it was making a weird whirling sound at the top left. I held power for a couple seconds and since then, the battery life hasn't been great...

My capacity says 41,914mWh... Is that normal?

4.5 hours is not bad, but if you all are getting such great battery life, I'm wondering whether I should contact Microsoft for a replacement because it's pretty frustrating thinking that the machine isn't running at its potential...

JesseDiaz

My numbers are horrid... I ran the battery report and my estimated battery life since OS install is under 5 hours... That's pretty bad, right? My fan is basically ALWAYS running and I barely run any apps (Word and a few Chrome pages).

At one point, I got above 6 hours. But one time I left my SP3 on and when I came back half an hour later, the screen had gone out and it was making a weird whirling sound at the top left. I held power for a couple seconds and since then, the battery life hasn't been great...

My capacity says 41,914mWh... Is that normal?

4.5 hours is not bad, but if you all are getting such great battery life, I'm wondering whether I should contact Microsoft for a replacement because it's pretty frustrating thinking that the machine isn't running at its potential...

Battery bar is showing 44,270mWh for me and Im getting over 6 hours...close to 7

thisiscarlo

Waaaay too premature at this point since I just got my SP3 today, but I finished charging to 100% around 5:00 PM and 6 hours later I'm at 39%. I love it.

I have my surface pro 3 now for two weeks. Battery Pro is telling me that it is only 43,715 mW if fully charged. At beginning, it was about 44,270mW. Is that normal? Thx for helping

JesseDiaz

I have my surface pro 3 now for two weeks. Battery Pro is telling me that it is only 43,715 mW if fully charged. At beginning, it was about 44,270mW. Is that normal? Thx for helping
I am showing 44,133mWh 0% battery wear. Ive had it since June 20th and use it exclusively and often

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Usage makes a big difference as well. I visit a site that, IMO is badly designed, makes heavy use of client side scripting (poorly implemented, and inefficient) its not uncommon to get warnings about slow running scripts etc. on this site. This adversely impacts battery life in a big way.

Other things you may be doing could impact it as well. I'd suggest launching Resource Monitor to get a better look at what's going on although that will grab some CPU cycles and battery juice so don't forget to turn it off later.

Knuck

I'm only getting 42.218. I wonder if this is a battery pro issue or if there is quality variance with the batteries shipped with the SP3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm it seems a variance in the neighborhood of 1% +/- is not too significant for battery technology with respect to 42wh vs 44wh give or take. there could be differences in chargers, battery construction, temperature performance. Arriving at an accurate assessment of battery life would require much more controlled testing and measurement.

I'd search for a standard battery life test app and test with that then compare against published results; expect some variance. Other than nuking them from space its the only way to be sure. :)

someone mentioned above the published spec states a 42wh battery or 42,000 mwh. Some are reporting 44wh which would be a bonus while others might get a little less than 42 which I don't think should be unexpected with batteries. actual battery life is a different story and your mileage will vary there also.

Last edited:

Sanjay

'Battery Bar' reports that the battery on my SP3 is at 0% of 42,689 mWh and the Full runtime is 4:36 hrs. I have never gotten more than 4:30 of continuous usage (browsing using Firefox), with the brightness set at 40% I wonder why I am getting such poor battery time compared to the 6-7 hrs being reported by many here.

daonei

'Battery Bar' reports that the battery on my SP3 is at 0% of 42,689 mWh and the Full runtime is 4:36 hrs. I have never gotten more than 4:30 of continuous usage (browsing using Firefox), with the brightness set at 40% I wonder why I am getting such poor battery time compared to the 6-7 hrs being reported by many here.

I was getting similar results as you. One concern I had was that the SP3 shut down on me and was making crackling noises until I rebooted it. After about a week, I decided to send it back for a new one. I'm now consistently showing about 5:44 on Battery Bar and getting a bit more time depending on what I'm doing. I'm assuming that's pretty typical.

I would give it a few weeks and see if it improves.