What's new

What is your average battery life on your SP3?

what is your avg sp3 battery life?

• Total voters

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using it plugged into A/C the majority of the time. The tech at the Microsoft Store said it doesn't hurt it to be plugged in all the time, and that the battery has a limited number of re-charges. I haven't had the opportunity to drain the battery and get a time yet.
It is recommended that you run the battery down at least once a month...

Battery care
  • Operating temperature. Surface is designed to work between 32°F and 95°F (or 0°C to 35°C). Lithium-ion batteries are sensitive to high temperatures, so keep your Surface out of the sun and don’t leave it in a hot car.
  • Recharge anytime. The battery doesn’t need to be empty or low before you recharge. You can recharge the battery whenever you’d like. However, it’s best to let the battery run to below 10 percent at least once per month before you recharge it.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/battery-and-power-pro

VickiFL

It is recommended that you run the battery down at least once a month...

Battery care
  • Operating temperature. Surface is designed to work between 32°F and 95°F (or 0°C to 35°C). Lithium-ion batteries are sensitive to high temperatures, so keep your Surface out of the sun and don’t leave it in a hot car.
  • Recharge anytime. The battery doesn’t need to be empty or low before you recharge. You can recharge the battery whenever you’d like. However, it’s best to let the battery run to below 10 percent at least once per month before you recharge it.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/hardware-and-drivers/battery-and-power-pro

I wonder why he didn't tell me that. I just want to extend the life of my SP3 to as long as possible.

Liam2349

I've been using it plugged into A/C the majority of the time. The tech at the Microsoft Store said it doesn't hurt it to be plugged in all the time, and that the battery has a limited number of re-charges. I haven't had the opportunity to drain the battery and get a time yet.

It does degrade the battery faster. Your battery will probably have wear.

Fabian

That battery report is totally untrustworthy. I just ran it and I have under "Usage history" this line:
2016-07-07 1:11:16 0:10:24 0:52:42 592625:45:01

That last number there is supposed to be (IIUC) the time of connected standby while plugged in. Total nonsense!

And there are lots of other numbers that do not make sense, like:
2016-02-22 - 2016-02-29 19:27:53 489:52:21

where that last number is supposed to be battery duration while in connected standby. Note that there are only 192 hours in an 8-day period.

So when the battery report gives me an estimate of almost 6 hours, I say *bull*. I am totally unsatisfied with the battery life of my SP3 (and this is my second brand new and they both had the exact same problem).

This is SP3 i7/8/512, W10 Pro.

Haldi

Would love to see how you wrote that batch file. That's a good little app to use.
this is mine:
Code:
set DD=%DATE:~0,2%
set MM=%DATE:~3,2%
set YY=%DATE:~8,2%
set YYYY=%DATE:~6,4%
set HH=%TIME:~0,2%
set MN=%TIME:~3,2%
powercfg /batteryreport /output "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Battery Log\battery_report_%YYYY%.%MM%.%DD%-%HH%%MN%.html" & powercfg /sleepstudy /output "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Battery Log\sleep_report_%YYYY%.%MM%.%DD%-%HH%%MN%.html"
its a 2in1, if you run it as admin you also get a sleep study. Normal Batteryreport doesnt need admin.

my Batterylife estimates are pretty much true..... sadly -.-
Screenshot (31).png

p.S
anyone ever tried PC Mark 8 Batterylife test?
PCMark 8 - The Complete Benchmark
with fixed 0% 50% or 100% brigthness.

Last edited: