What's new

Poll What is your shutdown and charging habit?

What is your shutdown and charging habit?

• Just let it sleep and not worry about it on AC (includes docking station)

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Intentionally hibernate it on AC (includes docking station)

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Shut it down on AC (includes docking station)

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Just let it sleep and not worry about it on battery

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Intentionally hibernate it on battery

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Shut it down on battery

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • My SP3 is powered by antimatter and is immortal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

malberttoo

I leave it running at home, and just put it to sleep/CS. More and more though I've been doing that away from the power cable.

I shut it down when I'm heading out the door, as that seems to solve most of my "turning on in the bag" annoyances.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The moment I put the device down, or put it in a bag, where it wil remain unused for a period of time, i just shut it down, doesnt cause me any grief to eait a few seconds for it to start up. As to charging etc, i have no real routine, i just do whatever i feel like at the time be it put it in a drawer or leave it plugged in overnight.

OP
nipponham

nipponham

Either I was unclear in what I wrote, or you misunderstood - it is probably the former than the latter. Let me explain. When I run the battery report, the HTML file that it throws out says that I get 8.30 mins of battery life since the day I bought the SP3 (June 20th). However, I use the SP3 on an average of 10-11 hours on a typical work day. But my typical work day does not involve the use of the machine continuously. It does mean that my SP 3 is both working and when not actively being used is always on Connected Standby (or whatever it is called) for 10-11 hours a day. Also, I never shut down the device. When on Connected Standby, the machine is polling three email accounts of which two are Outlook accounts (one set to poll continuously and the other every 15 minutes) and the other is my work mail account (set to poll every 15 minutes). The brightness level is at 38%. I have 12 notifications on including Mail, Calendar, Flipboard, News, among others. Since I work in academia, I am usually using Word and Powerpoint. Occasionally, I use Excel. On the MUI side, I use IE, OneNote (I use the Pen extensively), Mail, Calendar, Weather and Contacts (IE usually has 3 tabs open), Book Viser, among others). I am careful to close apps (waiting for the Live Tile to flip) if I don't use it. BT and WIFI are on all the time.

Based on this usage, at the end of the day I end up with around 35% of the battery left. My personal estimate is that I probably use the device for around 6-7 hours per day of continuous use.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much clearer and no misunderstanding now:)

8.5 hours of estimated battery life is still good. It’s nice to be able to do a full day’s work on one full charge. I haven’ been able to do that yet and don’t expect to, but then again, I plug/unplug throughout the course of a day.

VickiFL

I leave it running at home, and just put it to sleep/CS. More and more though I've been doing that away from the power cable.

I shut it down when I'm heading out the door, as that seems to solve most of my "turning on in the bag" annoyances.

I wish I could solve that problem. I always keep my SP3 in my back pack when I go out. Somehow, the power button is being hit, and turning it on. I know because my Bluetooth earpiece tells me, "pc connected." Makes me so angry because I have to stop what I'm doing to pull it out to turn it off. If I don't, my SP3 gets really hot.

OP
nipponham

nipponham

24 hours into the poll and it’s interesting to see that hardly anyone hibernates their machine. It’s almost fairly divided into two camps, those who leave their machine as is, that is, let it sleep, and those who consciously shut it down, regardless of whether they leave it connected to AC or not.

I suppose this makes sense in that hibernation was a way to quickly boot your machine while saving energy consumption. With the Surface’s SSD, there’s hardly any distinction between the two in terms of boot time and some people are choosing to conserve as much energy as possible. At least that’s why I do a complete shut down.

Maybe Microsoft knew what they were doing when they left off the hibernation option from the power button;)