What's new

What Phone are you pairing with your SP3?

What Phone are you using with your Surface Pro 3?

• iPhone 6/6+

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Older iPhone

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Galaxy Note 1/2/3(4)

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Any HTC

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Samsung S3/4/5

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Any LG

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Any Windows phone

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Any Blackberry phone

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • One Plus One

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any Sony phone

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Any Nexus Phone

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
WP has suffered from similar issues that BB had, horrible management, incredibly bad market timing, extremely poor marketing and lack of coherent vision, repeatedly deserting the customer base and leaving them hanging with nothing. Its a wonder there's a single digit to the WP market share. Had it not been for some interesting Nokia hardware and Nokia's good reputation WP would be dead and buried. Even now it has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peal.

Merging the OSs in attempt to save WP may actually kill the tablet too. The last thing tablet users want is an influx of crap phone apps designed for phones and not tablets which to this point has been pretty rate in the Windows RT/Metro space.
I agree some of that was true in the past, but I see that unified OS team is a great step, my Lumia 1520 has the same hardware as the Lumia 2520 Tablet, the only difference is the 6" Screen. Most ATOM Tablets are 1280x800, which is approx. the same as most mid-tier Windows Phone, Windows 8.x/RT Apps on WP and vice-versa will be a great addition.

And while, Windows Phone isn't huge here, two markets that it has a bigger market share is India and China and in fact in big parts of Europe. The UK Windows Phone Ad Campaign is so much better than here in the US.

raqball

Nokia Icon running developer preview 8.1 :)

what's the use of pairing?

I don't have mine paired but am enjoying using the same OS for it's sync capabilities between the SP3 apps and my Windows phone apps. Tweetium, Nextgen Reader, Package Tracker ect. all keep the data in perfect unison between the 2 devices.

Last edited:

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure why I decided to try a windows phone in the first place. I was happy with my Android, but just had itchy feet I guess. I liked the look of the quirky Nokia's and their reviews of the hardware were generally very good, plus I guess I had a bit of nostalgia for my first few Nokia phone but rather than jump in with a high end phone I went for the cheaper option to test out the OS.

I tried pairing my surface with my phone but it didn't seem to offer anything!!

mtalinm

Nokia Icon running developer preview 8.1 :)

I don't have mine paired but am enjoying using the same OS for it's sync capabilities between the SP3 apps and my Windows phone apps. Tweetium, Nextgen Reader, Package Tracker ect. all keep the data in perfect unison between the 2 devices.

same here! winphone FTW!!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree some of that was true in the past, but I see that unified OS team is a great step, my Lumia 1520 has the same hardware as the Lumia 2520 Tablet
I don't see how the same hardware has anything to do with merging the OS team. However, I can conceptually agree that API standardization will benefit development.

the only difference is the 6" Screen. Most ATOM Tablets are 1280x800, which is approx. the same as most mid-tier Windows Phone, Windows 8.x/RT Apps on WP and vice-versa will be a great addition.et
as long as they are free rotating and scaling but as soon as you lock the screen to portrait for a phone app you fail badly, that's the risk.

And while, Windows Phone isn't huge here, two markets that it has a bigger market share is India and China and in fact in big parts of Europe. The UK Windows Phone Ad Campaign is so much better than here in the US.
We will see how it goes... it would be good to have a strong 3rd choice but that's so far off its unfathomable. It's looking like Apple will gravitate to its ordained 10% +/- position and Android has taken the position in mobile that Windows holds in the PC market. Dislodging Android will require more than an "I can do that too" product. however, now even the good MS software shows up on other platforms first.

It would be very interesting to see a postmortem on the past 5-6 years of the WP saga. Although, it will probably require a couple more years of perspective to solidify just how devastating its been, a preview would still be interesting.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
MS doesn't honestly need to dislodge Android, as from an OS Platform is a secondary focus. Nadella's goal is Microsoft Software and Services on every device.

OneDrive supplanting iCloud on iOS and Google Drive on Android and Office on everything.

Windows will be the business solution and showcase platform...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
MS doesn't honestly need to dislodge Android, as from an OS Platform is a secondary focus. Nadella's goal is Microsoft Software and Services on every device.

OneDrive supplanting iCloud on iOS and Google Drive on Android and Office on everything.

Windows will be the business solution and showcase platform...
Its a plausible vision. I do sincerely hope it succeeds.
I have seen into the abyss of Google and don't want to be there nor do I want to be an Apple conscript/courtesan/concubine.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its a plausible vision. I do sincerely hope it succeeds.
I have seen into the abyss of Google and don't want to be there nor do I want to be an Apple conscript/courtesan/concubine.
me either... I used to be a huge google everything person, but have got less enchanted with Google's way of doing things lately. Not really interested in going apple, not at this point in time when the Surface is the device that does what I need.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an M7. But even when i was solely android, i never bothered pairing in any way. Never really saw a point (once tried this whole google drive and google keep thing, and yeah, it would automatically make it available across all devices, never actually found a purpose for it though. If i wanted something on my phone, id put it on my phone). Maybe im just not a professional enough to require such features,

I don't really pair mine but I enable the hotspot on my Galaxy S5 to get on the net when I'm not near wifi. Works good and speeds are surprisingly fast, I'm in Seattle.