What's new

What should I use for streaming video from a network drive?

stevescotthome

I have a NAS on my network with all my media, but for the life of me I can't get it to stream through the surface.

If I open the video app I can browse to the network drive and open a video, but it plays for 5-10 seconds, pauses, plays for 5-10 seconds, pauses, etc etc...so to mean it's not buffering or something right? Video was only 400 megs, our old ipad had an app that played all the videos from there fine...so is this a native app problem, or?

**Sidenote**
I can't seem to get my network folders to just be available as "places\folders" in the app. I press the button that says add folder, it then tells me the folder will be available to the video app...but then it isn't.

Steve

bulls96

Try Multiplayer 8. Its worked for me. I don't do it often though.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

CrippsCorner

I would get annoying buffering quite a lot with playing music over my network. I'm afraid I can't really help to solve the problem as I just caved in and bought myself an SD card!

bluegrass

I would get annoying buffering quite a lot with playing music over my network. I'm afraid I can't really help to solve the problem as I just caved in and bought myself an SD card!

I'm assuming he has a huge library of videos that he doesn't want to have to transfer them back and forth to an SD card.

I'm assuming that you are connecting to your network via an Ethernet adapter & cable on you USB3 port, correct. That it streams fine to your other network computers? I would try a few different media players, such as VLC. I know I have no buffering slowdowns at all when I play videos from an external USB drive on my Surface. I browse to them, click on the video I want to watch and let the Surface video player play them. I play all sizes and High Definition videos without buffering stops.

Not sure what your side note means. Can't you just place a shortcut to your video folder or folders that are on you NAS drive?