What's new

What Surface 3 Cases Are Going To Be Available at Launch?

OP
N

netuser

This one (the third one on your link) just dropped in price today to $45.32 (for the black one only). It's been priced between $53-$70 and it's the one I'm getting
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VJYTYK8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lower price makes it more tempting.
One negative thing I have read about it is that the built-in kickstand is low quality, hard to adjust and is super loud when you force it to move from one notch of adjustment to the the next.

Another issue that will affect all cases that fully cover the back is that they can prevent heat from escaping. Using those types of cases may cause overheating and slow performance due to CPU throttling to stop overheating.

Last edited:

Johnny365

It's not that the case kickstand is low quality, it's made out of a piece of metal. it has a lot of give when in a particular position and you can wiggle it slightly within a position, but it gets the job done and has almost the same amount of range as the built-in stand (at least on the SP3). I rather take use the case stand than put continuous wear on the device stand.

OP
N

netuser

It's not that the case kickstand is low quality, it's made out of a piece of metal. it has a lot of give when in a particular position and you can wiggle it slightly within a position, but it gets the job done and has almost the same amount of range as the built-in stand (at least on the SP3). I rather take use the case stand than put continuous wear on the device stand.

I read some reviews that complained that the kickstand really snaps hard and loudly when you fold and extend it.
I am a bit concerned about cases in general for the Surface 3 since the Surface 3 doesn't have vents like the Surface Pro 3.
Seems like the back of the Surface 3 would need to stay exposed to air to let the heat out.

Johnny365

Yes, the case stand is loud when it snaps into place. That's how you know it's working :D

Think of the Surface 3 like an iPad. No vents and while they both get hot, the CPU runs cool enough with low wattage that it doesn't matter what case you get.

OP
N

netuser

Yes, the case stand is loud when it snaps into place. That's how you know it's working :D

Think of the Surface 3 like an iPad. No vents and while they both get hot, the CPU runs cool enough with low wattage that it doesn't matter what case you get.

We don't know that yet.
It has a throttling feature to prevent overheating. If it can't cool down enough through heat escaping from the case, it will step down the processor speed which will mean slow performance during those times.
If you are pushing the processor trying to play a game or doing anything that taxes the Atom processor, you could see performance problems if the system can't stay cool.

Johnny365

keyword trying. If it is too taxing on the CPU, it simply won't work or stutter like crazy. The Atom barely performs better than Baytrail CPUs from late 2013.

irogos

honestly I would not suggest putting the Surface 3 in a case. This is a FANLESS device so the only way it dissipates heat is through its metal shell. That is like taking a car engine and wrapping it in blankets and driving down the highway. You are just asking for it to overheat to the point of thermal throttling.

Compared to the Surface Pro 3 that had fans and vents for heat exchange, the Surface 3 will not have those. Just buy a $99 protection plan and use it naked!

OP
N

netuser

Someone could still make a bumper-style case that keeps the back exposed to the air and still provides protections from drops.
The back of the case doesn't really need protection.