What's new

What video player are you using on your SP2?

MickeyLittle

You're welcome. Not sure what the criteria is to develop an app for the Microsoft store, but wish they'd clamp down on those who seem to be attempting to take advantage of users.
One rule of thumb I've adopted for myself is to not purchase any paid apps that don't give you a trial period. The way I figure is if it was a good performer, they would want people to try it.

Roger that... Hey iliketoys(too) lol but I may have to look in Mobile HD Media Player, especially if it offers a trial as Booch has wisely recommended!

iliketoys

@Mickey, I don't remember if it offered a trial but I picked it up based on my buddies recommendation (who also has an SP2).

MickeyLittle

@Mickey, I don't remember if it offered a trial but I picked it up based on my buddies recommendation (who also has an SP2).

I just downloaded it because it does have a 7 day trial. I wish it was 30 days but 7 will give me the upcoming weekend to figure out if I like it better than the stock player or not. Thanks...

DungeonShredder

Currently using plain old media player with klite codec pack basic
It uses slightly more battery power then the metro player not enough to worry about
VLC eats the battery too quickly to use

Last edited:

Rvacha

I have been using Metro Media Player Pro. Free, but with no mkv support. You can purchase an mkv plugin. Really flexible, doesn't rely on libraries, and reads DLNA media servers perfectly. PlayTo works very well, in fact I am surprised how well. While playto-ing a 1080p video my SP2 idles at 800MHz and under 1% CPU utilization

I don't know if it is a bug or feature, but after starting play to, you can open another video and watch on the SP while the first one continues streaming away to the TV in the background. Why might it be viewed as a bug? You lose playback controls on the background streaming video and the only to stop it is to close the app. I still find it useful sometimes so its sorta a feature

Metro Media Player Pro app for Windows in the Windows Store

benjitek

Of the 2 Modern-UI options mentioned here, the Metro Media Player is better, though neither is great, at least not yet - hopefully the developers will stick with them and issue regular updates.

Last edited: