What's new

what would you do?

Return or Not

• Hang in there software issues

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like your advise.

I have had my SB for a month or so now. It is unstable. I think it is software, but I read people are able to get them exchanged.

I did invest in Stikerboy and would need to remove it, but

With the Windows 10 patch this week, the unit crashes every time it goes to sleep?

December%2018%20%202015.PNG

hang in there, or remove the decals and see if I can swap it?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on some people never having any problems there's no reason to keep one with problems. Even if the problems can be fixed with firmware, others still have units that work perfectly without needing a firmware fix. This just means the device has marginal characteristics and any Firmware change would be compensating for the less than ideal operation.

You should RESET it before retuning it so you may as well EESET it now to see IF a RESET will fix any of the problems.

LewsTherin

I would try a full factory reset...failing that...exchange it.
In the end that is what fixed my problem (replacement), don't suffer more than you have to.

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
Return it and rebuy it. Keep the 30 day clock running until SB issues are fixed.

At Last I bought it at Best Buy more than 15 days ago..... I 'hope' since I bought the Microsoft Store Warranty they will help.

I need to close up some business before the holiday slow down, then will try your advises on the resets.....

Thank you all. Really was not expecting this much of a problem after being a Surface Pro, Surface Pro 3 owner.

- This morning turned it on connected to the DOCK at HOME (I was using it week at the office) and it was 15 minutes of rebooting SB and DOCK to get it to recognize the monitor, and I gave up trying to have it obtain an IP from the wired connection, just using wifi as I need to get a few things done, and care and feeding this machine was not on the agenda.

I GREATLY appreciate all the responses.

kimknapp

If you bought it 15 days ago from Best Buy, you can return it up until Jan 15th. I can't imagine not returning it with those types of problems.

flar

Yes, Best Buy has a special return promotion for anything purchased from 11/1 through the end of the year - returns until 1/15.

(And, of course, I had to buy mine on 10/31 at the end of the retail day - D'oh!)

BearFlag

Based on some people never having any problems there's no reason to keep one with problems. Even if the problems can be fixed with firmware, others still have units that work perfectly without needing a firmware fix.

Really? Some people have had zero issues? I got mine in late October and got the BSOD a few times and display driver crashes multiple times the first few weeks. With every firmware update it got better and now I haven't been experienced any issues since the last update. Lucky them I guess.

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
Microsoft support is very frustrating. I realize that last week was a holiday week and FedEx was overloaded, but see below of an amazing journey trying to get a tracking number on something they claimed would have been delivered last week. I am 1 week 1 day into waiting for a replacement.

19-Dec Contacted Surface Support as Surface Book was not reliable
RMA issued with Advance Replacement 131850xxxx
Email Received that in 24-48 would have shipping information​
22-Dec Chat with Rose P - Asking for tracking as I did not receive the second email
Rose P.: at 8:19:03 - Do not worry, since the turn around time for advance exchange will be 3 to 5 Business days.
Rose P.: at 8:19:33 - So you would likely receive the device earliest, 12/23/2015
Rose P.: at 8:23:55 - Possible there is a server traffiic, that causes input delay of data to our resources.
Rose P.: at 8:25:46 - Here's What I will do Kevin. I have sensed that you are a very busy man. And I do not want to take much of your precious time.
Rose P.: at 8:26:12 - I will personally update you on, on what has been happening on your device.​
26-Dec Called Surface Support, told that they had no tracking number. Demanded to talk to supervisor. Jamie told me that it would arrive on Monday Dec 28
28-Dec @surfacesupport resonding to my tweets of Dec 26th, tweeted "@kevin_cossaboon Please contact Support to get your tracking details."
IM with Surface Support at 8:09am.
Tinz: at 8:19:24 - i contacted them and asked for the tracking number, and they apologize for the delay due to holidays
Tinz: at 8:20:44 - as of this moment, we do not have. and that's the reason kevin why i called the fedex to ask it personally
Tinz: at 8:25:38 - due to delivery congestion, unable to give us update for the tracking number
Tinz: at 8:27:24 - regarding this tracking number, i will take care of this personally
Tinz: at 8:27:34 - and make sure that you will have the tracking number
Tinz: at 8:28:32 - expect an email from within 30 minute
At 9:16 I received and email stating "We really appreciate your patience about your order delay. We took an action about this and escalated it to the higher department to make sure that this will be taken cared of. Again we apologize for the inconvenience and delay of your order. As soon as we have an update and tracking number, we will definitely email you about this."
as of 1:22 PM no respond to the DM Tweet to @surfacesupport​

In a nut shell, I am to believe that they shipped the unit, but the automated email system did not send me the tracking, and they can not get the tracking as FedEx is too busy to issue tracking numbers.
If no replacement arrives today, I will return it to Best Buy and re-think my desire for a Microsoft Laptop.

OP
Kevin Cossaboon
Final update. Thank You @flar for the Note on Best Buy Return Policy. Returned the Surface Book Today.

Thinking I might get a Surface Pro 4 (as my Surface Pro, and Surface Pro 3 treated me well), but while I think, I ordered an iPad Pro. No where close to a Surface Pro 3, but for now, stable and support is what I need.