What's new

What's coming in Windows 8.1

DOS

Good read indeed. And kudos to you for correctly projecting the "boot to Desktop" and return of the "Start Button".

Although the explanation of the 8.1 start button sounds a bit confusing...

tonyz3

Good read indeed. And kudos to you for correctly projecting the "boot to Desktop" and return of the "Start Button".

Although the explanation of the 8.1 start button sounds a bit confusing...
Dont get him started........

Codevine

Internet Explorer 11: "Changes include tabs being moved to the bottom with unlimited tabs and subfolders for favorites."
Hooray!

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

My guess on the Start Button is that they won't admit defeat completely and go back go a Windows 7 style menu. More likely they will use some version of the split screen to emulate a Start Menu using a Modern UI look and feel on half or a third of the screen. This way they can give people their Start Button but still wean them onto Modern UI while not dragging them completely from the desktop.

That would be the smartest choice IMHO.

** Adding folders to Modern UI Start would make this even better.

tonyz3

Um your knack for the obvious is stating exactly what is reported about the start button in 8.1

DOS

Didn't they say something about the Desktop showing through on the Start Menu? It kind of makes it sound like the Start Button will take us to the Start Menu. But they also stated there was another option, which didn't appear clear to me.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Didn't they say something about the Desktop showing through on the Start Menu? It kind of makes it sound like the Start Button will take us to the Start Menu. But they also stated there was another option, which didn't appear clear to me.

I think they said something about the Modern Start Page having the same background as your desktop so it isn't so jarring. They will also have animated backgrounds for the Start Page which along with animated tiles should be positively nauseating and come with a warning for epileptics. Somebody at MS really digs useless animations.

The best part is that they seem to be introducing some choice to the user in how things work which is what was missing on Windows 8.0.