What's new

What's coming in Windows 8.1

pallentx

Weird. On my Surface RT 'metro' IE and on my Windows 7 work desktop running IE10, hitting enter has no effect. The cursor just sits there.

pallentx

That's it. I have to toggle off the WYSIWYG mode and use "Source Mode" to get a CR/LF with the enter key.
Weird.

pallentx

Well here is an interesting take on the Windows 8 and a proposed fix it. There is a lengthy article and a slide show which i linked ( slideshow- Introducing Windows Red: A serious plan to fix Windows 8 | Microsoft windows - InfoWorld) Can't wait for the feedback on this one.

That strategy is assured death for MS. PCs decline an no longer make money and MS is unable to leverage desktop/laptop user into their own mobile offering. Unity of the platform is the main thing that makes it attractive for me. Otherwise, I'd probably lean toward Android or iOS for phone and tablet.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

J515OP

Super Moderator
After slide 2 I'm out. I don't want 3 different windows OSes any more than I want 2 or more of any OS. MS has along way to go still but the first one that can pull off the universal experience with one OS is the one I'm going for. Right now that is MS

If Apple or Google can pull something similar off I'd strongly consider it. Unfortunately Chrome is lacking as a PC OS and iOS is a clear choice by Apple to be what it is, which is far too simple as even a mobile OS.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

MS has along way to go still but the first one that can pull off the universal experience with one OS is the one I'm going for. Right now that is MS.

If Windows 8.1 can make Windows 8 not suck for non-touch users they have a chance to dominate. I was at BestBuy the other day and tried looking some things up online using Windows 8 without a touch interface. I forgot what a painful experience that is.

Windows 8 version #1 was like the baseball player who knows he needs to hit the ball but is holding a gold club. Right idea, wrong tool.

Nuspieds

If Windows 8.1 can make Windows 8 not suck for non-touch users they have a chance to dominate. I was at BestBuy the other day and tried looking some things up online using Windows 8 without a touch interface. I forgot what a painful experience that is.
Painful? How so?

When I am docked at home, my SP is attached to two external monitors--both non-touch. I'm using my mouse and external keyboard without any issues, just like I did for previous versions of Windows.

Even when I run my Modern UI apps on those screens they work perfectly fine with my mouse and keyboard.

DOS

Now you're just being silly. If you can't do a simple internet inquiry with the mouse on Windows 8, you need to go to your room.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Now you're just being silly. If you can't do a simple internet inquiry with the mouse on Windows 8, you need to go to your room.

If you want to link us to some articles about how much mouse and keyboard users love the Windows 8 experience knock yourself out. Good luck with that :)

Last edited:

narse77

If you want to link us to some articles about how much mouse and keyboard users love the Windows 8 experience knock yourself out. Good luck with that :)

It's in no way painful. If I want to search the internet I press the windows key plus Q to bring up search charm and search. easy as pie and I don't even have to have the browser open. It's just different, it's in no way painful. Spend a bit of time and learn the OS. You will find it is way more efficient and fast.

Last edited:

DOS

Link some articles? Why bother, I can tell you first hand... I have a computer without touch running Windows 8... and I can navigate it just fine. However, I will qualify that by saying, I am an experienced keyboard and mouse user.