What's new

What's coming in Windows 8.1

lowboydrvr

Of course, if you are in the Modern UI (start screen), you don't even need to open the charms bar to start searching. All you have to do is start typing, the search on the Charms bar will automatically open up for you. It's a pretty neat feature.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Lol, the argument is moot. Windows 8 sucks for mouse and keyboard users and that's why we have Windows 8.1. Pudding is served. Microsoft agrees with me, case closed.

With regards to asking you to link to articles praising Windows 8 mouse and keyboard 'friendliness' my point is, THERE AREN'T ANY because it isn't. You may think it is, but apparently not a single tech writer (whose job it is to know about such things) thinks it is. As a matter of fact, compared to most tech writers I have been quite gentle on Windows 8.

DOS

I’m not sure how you can say that’s a moot point. With the exception of the Start Button and BTD, everything I’ve seen on the 8.1 upgrade focuses on Modern UI enhancements. I haven’t seen anything about keyboard and mouse enhancements. If you know something, please share.

Finding articles about people praising the keyboard and mouse on Windows 8 is like trying to find articles about people praising the brake pedal on a new car. It’s there, it works, why bother.

I remember (about a hundred years ago), when I was in tech support. A customer service rep called me screaming and yelling that her computer wasn’t working and she had a customer sitting in front of her; waiting. When I got to her desk she continued to belittle the equipment. I looked at the PC, pressed the power button and said to her. “It works better when you turn it on.” The customer laughed.

Because some tech writer is too lazy to figure out how to navigate with a mouse, and instead demeans it; doesn’t make them right.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Funny because I can find about 100 articles of people beating the crap out of Windows 8 for how it works (or doesn't) with mouse and keyboard. Sexy sexy brake pedal articles. :)

Anyway like I said, doesn't matter, MS seems to be listening and although adding the Start Button may seem like a small thing, it is a big thing. How do I know? Because I promise you MS did NOT want to do that and wouldn't have unless it was a big deal.

cauzion

I hope they include a few very simple things:

Support for common 3G/4G dongles
Support to add to "ad hoc" networks. Some mobile phones creates "ad hoc" networks for tethering and Windows RT cannot connect to them.

He guys, after using my Surface RT for 7 months on an average of 7-8 hours a day, I've decided to start a blog posting my perceptions. It's so much to tell that I think this not the place to post them.

So, check it out at: http://SurfaceRtReview.BlogSpot.com