What's It Made Of?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 2' started by Sir Face, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Sir Face

Sir Face New Member

I had a Surface 2 before returning it and upgrading to my Surface Pro 2 and I remember that its "chassis" was supposedly made of magnesium It really seemed to be a better choice than the coated metal used here in the Pro 2. At least it was the same stuff through and through, not coated, anodized or painted. Maybe I just missed it somewhere, but I don't recall seeing a description of what the material is in the Pro 2. Hopefully it's magnesium also, but my bet that it's aluminum that's either anodized or painted. If so, I think Microsoft took a step backwards there. Does anyone know for sure?

2. jimkraz

jimkraz Member

I think they have all been aluminium with VapourMagnesium coating, as far as I can see, I could be wrong. Jim

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Pro 2 is made of the same Magnesium (referred to as VaporMg), but it has a Black Anodized Paint Finish, where the Surface 2 has no paint...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  4. kevinlevrone

kevinlevrone Active Member

When you go here:

Surface Pro 2 - The Microsoft Tablet That's Got It All

And click on the "See All Specs" link, you will see this: "Casing: VaporMg". The exact same thing is written when you go to the Surface 2 section. So this means that the two tablets are made from the same alloy, so you do not need to worry about this.

5. Sir Face

Sir Face New Member

Hey Guys, I just stumbled on an interesting Youtube video on this subject, it's at:
    [video=youtube;s9hzDWbv-PI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9hzDWbv-PI[/video]

1 person likes this.