What's new

Where did you put your pen loop? (pics)

Since I replaced my type cover with the power cover I've been trying to figure out where to put the pen loop (as the power cover is thicker and there's just not a good spot to attach it.

Ending up trimming the sticky tab and attaching it right under the hinge so the kickstand isn't hindered at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20141019_011141.jpg
    IMG_20141019_011141.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 3,738
  • IMG_20141019_011250.jpg
    IMG_20141019_011250.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 3,163
  • IMG_20141019_011313.jpg
    IMG_20141019_011313.jpg
    822.1 KB · Views: 3,210

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. Never took it out of the box. Partly because of what a joke it is, but mostly because my shoulder bag has pen loops inside so it just sits in there until needed, with a spare pen in my bedside drawers.

Liam2349

Still in the box - I don't like the look of it. I keep the pen in my storage case, on one of the magnets or in my pocket.

r0b123

I first had it on the back of the keyboard as most people, but I didn't like it and removed it. I just clip the pen on the groove what would be the top of the keyboard when I'm carrying it between meetings and short trips. Otherwise, I just put the pen in my pen holder in my bag.

nipponham

Count me as someone who doesn't use the pen loop as well. In Japan, it doesn't come with the type cover and has to be purchased separately. Even if it were included, I can't see a good place to put it. It would ruin the nice symmetrical shape of the machine, and I can't believe that we're expected to use what is basically a sticker to keep our pen together with the machine? I keep my pen in the holder located in my sleeve pocket.

sdreamer

Since I replaced my type cover with the power cover I've been trying to figure out where to put the pen loop (as the power cover is thicker and there's just not a good spot to attach it.

Ending up trimming the sticky tab and attaching it right under the hinge so the kickstand isn't hindered at all.
Love this idea, might do this as well

Dblkk

I put min on back of surface, but on top, above the air intake/direct opposite power button

Attachments

• WP_20141008_18_01_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141008_18_01_02_Pro.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 1,090
  • WP_20141008_18_00_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141008_18_00_17_Pro.jpg
    924.4 KB · Views: 2,341

daniielrp

I had mine on the back behind where the volume keys are for a week or so. But just looked ridiculous.

I keep it in the pen pocket in my bag now.

mtalinm

I tried so many variations on this. First I tried to attach it to the side of the Surface and have the magnet hold it to the power port. This worked spectacularly on my SP2, in large part thanks to the notch on the pen matching the power cord, but I could just never get it to work properly on the SP3.

like daniielrp, I also found the aesthetics of attaching the pen to the chassis to be unpleasant. the SP2 was so odd in portrait mode that I rarely used it that way except to mark up PDFs, where I needed the pen anyway. but I very frequently hold the SP3 in "tablet" mode and don't like having the pen flopping around (since the magnet won't hold it securely in place).

So I finally went back to attaching it to the keyboard. first I tried clipping it onto the folding indentation as citatic and others have done. but I found that the keyboard would not fold properly to adhere to the magnetic strip on the chassis for typing or, worse, if I wanted to lay the keyboard flat the pen was in the way and I'd have to remove it / switch it to the other side. first-world problesm, I know...

so i reverted to using the dreaded pen loop on the keyboard. what drove me nuts though was it flopping around because the pen loop is not very long. To be fair, it never fell off, but I always thought it would. So I got a second pen loop and placed it right next to the other. Now it doesn't flop around, which I much prefer. A bit annoying to have to slide it through the two loops instead of just one, but I don't use the pen all that much so it's OK.

WP_20141020_001.jpg