What's new

Where do you keep your pen?

Stefalopod

Not sure if you guys are aware but the pen for SP3 is magnetic. You can place it over the power connector where it will attach. However, its not as sturdy as I want it to be as I found it has fallen off a few times. Also, will not work if you are charging your surface.

What do you guys think?
Brilliant! I hadn't worked this one out yet. I stuck the pen loop directly to the back of the SP3, about two inches from the upper right hand corner when looking at the screen (power port side). I like the location, although I also noticed that the holder is a little tight and that the adhesive wasn't entirely up to the job. I tore the loop off by putting the SP3 pen-first into a carrier.
I used command strips to re-adhere the holder to the back of the SP3 -- they adhered quite well to the failing adhesive on the pen loop and to the back of the SP3.
Now that I've learned that you can use the power port's magnet to hold onto the pen-clip, I can stick the pen only part way in with the tip pointing upward and rely on the magnet to hold the lower end. That should reduce tugging on the pen loop and hopefully make the adhesive last a little longer.
Retrieving the pen is also very easy this way.

drolem

I either keep it in my shirt pocket, or in my backpack together with the "real" pens. Fits there just fine.

Didn't happen yet with this one, but there was more than one occasion before that I tried to write on a paper with my SP1's pen . ;)

Rugbyguy541

I cut up a grip from another pen and put it on my SP3 pen and that is magical, but get's rid of the pen loop functionality for me. I use the clip on the SP3 pen and attach it to the Type Cover when it is closed and use that to carry it around. It's worked great so far.

bluegrass

I found the loop works fine for me but in the beginning it was tight. It needed a break in period before I could just poke it in. I suggest that you hold the sticky tab and poke it in and out a few times wiggling it and it will eventually get to the point that you can push it in one handed without a problem.

bulls96

The loop fell off after 3 weeks on it. SO that was a no go (I prefer the look of my sp3 without anything sticking out anyway)

Right now I have it in my shirt pocket. We'll see when I will lose it.

bulls96

Those who put the pen in the little slot before the magnetized part of the keyboard... does it scratch the screen?

mtalinm

WP_20140908_001.jpg
I fiddled with a bunch of different options. I sort of liked the loop over the USB port so the pen could magnetically hold to the side of the chassis like it did with my SP2, but it wasn't a solid hold so I went back to keeping it on the keyboard. Also, having the pen on that said doomed me to holding it windows-key-up in tablet mode, which put the hot quadrant right next to my left hand. ick.

But when attaching the pen loop to the keyboard it was floppy. I hated it flopping around. so I installed a second loop. much better. I may add a third!

dleuen

Mine is always just laying around somewhere. It's just a matter of time before I loose it. I should buy a new one so I'm ready for when that happens.

Telstar1948

I stuck the loop on the back of my SP3 on the left side just below the volume rocker. I can still reach the volume rocker since the pen sticks out away from the actual side of the SP3. It hasn't offered to come off partly because, I think, it isn't continually being buffeted & stressed due to flipping the type cover up and down as we do in normal use and transport of the SP3...anyway, it works there very well.