What's new

Where is new Windows?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Reading the grid, the bold section seems to be in error, as if I close any App I end up back at the start screen. The desktop is an App in Windows 8.x

Have you rebooted since turning off Sync? Do you have a local profile to test?

kristalsoldier

Reading the grid, the bold section seems to be in error, as if I close any App I end up back at the start screen. The desktop is an App in Windows 8.x

Have you rebooted since turning off Sync? Do you have a local profile to test?

Yes and Yes.

Also, I think the section in bold under "After 8.1 Update" reads like this to me:

Tablet

Boots to start Screen (check)
Closing app takes user to desktop (current behaviour - this is what I find odd))
Pics, Music and videos open in Modern App (check)

Non Tablet

Boots to Start Desktop (check - but I have unchecked that box under Taskbar etc. So, I boot to Start Screen)
Closing all apps takes user to desktop (check - this is what I find odd)
Pics, Music and videos open in Modern App (check)

Notice though that in that matrix that you provided - under tablet, when closing all apps, it does not say actually what happens - when technically, they should have said reverts to Start Screen (or desktop, if they have changed it, which I doubt it as it does not make any sense - except for those using the Surface Pro or equivalent). You see what I mean?

kristalsoldier

OK. As someone ("crise") from another forum just pointed out: "Right click task bar and then deselect the option to show metro apps in taskbar. Then you won't get thrown to desktop."

It works - both on the desktop machine and on the Surface!!!!!!!

kundas1

I find as MS releases updates they just make the Surface worse and worse with each update they release, instead of making it better! not to be a whiny b!atch but C'mooon! Since the release of 8.1 they've just gone down hill from there! or at least for most of us anyways....

macmee

I find as MS releases updates they just make the Surface worse and worse with each update they release, instead of making it better! not to be a whiny b!atch but C'mooon! Since the release of 8.1 they've just gone down hill from there! or at least for most of us anyways....

Don't know about this, but I am sort of scared whenever I update that it's going to hurt my already sort of terribly broken surface :(

gangolfus

For example...

kundas1

^^^ Are you kidding me? Have you not been reading these forum? Everything from battery problems to WiFi to me having trouble with IE11 now and other NUMEROUS quirks that people have been posting all over these forums. I guess someone hasn't been paying attention or reading... :rolleyes:

macmee

For example...

There was a nasty firmware released into the wild in December for SP2 users. Possibly due to the holidays, but it took over 2 months to fix, and Microsoft had so many replacement requests that they ran out of Surface.

Recently the March firmware update was pulled after causing issues with some folks' tablet.

Hopefully Microsoft improves over time :p

binaryjay

Okay, so I'm surprised nobody has talked about this... but how do we take advantage of the "smaller os footprint" of this version of windows, 64gb Pro users must be interested in this. Is it just a matter of them turning a bunch of stuff off/uninstalling extra junk by default on new installs that we already did as soon as our surfaces came out of the box? Has anybody noticed any space savings after updating (I'm waiting for my surface to update now, already did my desktop).