What's new

where to get Bluestacks?

Knuck

I would suggest trying DuOS as an alternative. Full android environment, better performance than bluestacks. Granted its $10 after a 30 day trial, but has been well worth it to me.

I found DuOS to be a major resource hog. Whenever I ran it my fan would come on full and my battery would drain quickly.

be77solo

Wow, I was unaware duOS even existed! Thanks for the heads up!

Bluestacks App Player is still a bit buggy and consoleOS is a year away.

Just installed duOS, working great so far!

Knuck

Wow, I was unaware duOS even existed! Thanks for the heads up!

Bluestacks App Player is still a bit buggy and consoleOS is a year away.

Just installed duOS, working great so far!

Wonder why it wouldn't work properly on my system. Did you install the update that gives you access to the play store? Once I did that the program became a major resource hog. Fan came on full and battery remaining indicator went from 4 hours to 1. It also told me the WiFi networks were not in range when they were and even though it gave me that message it still would allow access to the internet.

JLinz

I'm a long time lurker but finally signed up just so I could thank jollywombat. I did a lot of research and never came across DuOS. I have no idea how I missed it with all of the searches I ran. Anyway, when I got the SP3 I went ahead and installed Bluestacks, which worked ok but still had some bugs and lags. Backed ConsoleOS as well, but that's obviously not a currently solution.

So today I installed DuOS and Play Store after taking a closer look at it and shortly thereafter deleted Bluestacks. DuOS is so much smoother and less buggy than BS.

As for being a resource hog, it does tend to kick the fan on and run the battery down faster than otherwise, but no worse than what I was already seeing with BS.

Thanks again jolly!!!

Sanjay

I installed Bluestacks and seemingly it worked fine. But only for a day. Now it wants me to pay $24/yr to further use it. Are they kidding me. I could understand a one time payment. But paying perpetually is absolutely ridiculous. I wonder how many people actually are paying the $24/yr. Worse, there is even no option to pay month to month.

joell85

A few things that need to be clarified:

First: The app player is BlueStacks. If you want it to function like normal android all you need to do is download a launcher and install it. It will then ask if you ant the launcher to be default which will switch you to standard android. This will then let you access the Google play store normally and functions just like normal android.

Second: While there is a premium version I have spoken with BlueStacks support and verified that is in now way different from the free version. Just click the option to install promo apps and forget it. So far after using it for 6 months it has not installed any junk for me, and if it does the junk is easily removed from BlueStacks.

Compusmurf

DuOS is JB and very function and complete. Bluestacks is ICS and quite a few apps are non functional on their build. Bluestacks has a nice phone sync feature that works VERY well, even pushes SMS. (Android phone of course). Bluestacks is way less resource hungry, but you get less compatibility on a 2 revision old android version. DuOS gives you a very solid JB versuon which is highly compatible. Root, Xposed and many dev apps work natively but you will pay for that with increased Win 8 cpu and battery. I have fully switched to DuOS and hoping for KK release in the near future.

eltos_lightfoot

I have been playing with both Bluestacks and duOS and am really torn. Bluestacks is older, but really does run cooler and at least in the couple of games I have tried, it seems to do at least similarly performance-wise. Given that I already paid for it for a year, I might just stay with it, but duOS is REALLY smooth and has more compatibility. AAARRRGGGHH!!! ;)

Compusmurf

Lol, get both. I ended up with DuOS because the devs seem to actually continue to dev it. Besides, its chrap enough. If my apps i use worked on bluestacks, I may have stayed there. There are a few more options I intend to check out when I get time.