What's new

Solved Where's the promised Pen Control Panel?

kozak79

It's been promised for August, then September, it's now October. Is it really that difficult to program it?

OP
K

kozak79

Microsoft promised a control panel even before the SP3 was released. Then they kept talking about it after the SP3 was released.

The control panel would be similar to wacom's and would let you control the pressure curve as well as reassign the button assignments. As it is now, the pen buttons are useless for artists and limits the SP3's use without a keyboard or mouse.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have a colloegue who reached out to n-trig and they replied sometime this month, it will part of their updated driver via the n-trig support download section, as it is targeted to artist and creative types I doubt it will be distributed as a Windows Driver Update.

Dblkk

I have a colloegue who reached out to n-trig and they replied sometime this month, it will part of their updated driver via the n-trig support download section, as it is targeted to artist and creative types I doubt it will be distributed as a Windows Driver Update.
Could you make a new thread on this site once the downloads available? It's partly because I'm lazy, but I just don't want to go looking on their site daily for a new driver.

Dblkk

Him
Could you point me to any official page promising that?
I can't say quote or guarantee. But I remember on a few instances that there were articles in my nextgen reader app that stated this. Not the date, but that ntrig would be the ones bringing the update for pen control. And then there have also been a few articles that have stated October release of a new ntrig update.
these were random articles and I can't quote or refund these articles with ease. So take with grain of salt please.

OP
K

kozak79

A couple months ago I emailed n-trig support asking about a control panel. They said they provided the SDK to Microsoft and it was up to them to release a control panel. I just hope someone releases one soon.

Dblkk

Alright, I was saying that months ago I saw several articles, which I saw and read through nextgen reader, so I can't remember the exact site. Those articles stated that ntrig was going to be the one including an update for actual pen/button control. Then again probably a week ago I saw a few more claims that ntrigs update was going to be in October.

I say don't quote me and take with a grain of salt, as nothing I say I can prove. Nor was it anything more than rumors at the time. But every site I have synced to my nextgen reader are good sites. But again, those were rumors, not facts. I do remember that much.

Now, Kozak79, brings up that he emailed and was told that ntrig was providing their SDK to Microsoft, which could also very well be.

Now this feature would be welcome, I had the SP1 since launch up until my SP3 upgrade, and not that I went searching for it, but I can't remember this 'claimed' feature being apart of the wacaam abilities with the SP1/2

nipponham

I remember a pen calibration utility being mentioned in Microsoft’s own Surface blog.
http://blog.surface.com/2014/05/get-know-surface-pro-3-pen/
We will also be releasing an update that adds a pressure calibration tool to the Control Panel in the coming months. This will allow you to customize the pressure curve and tip feel to get the most subtle and personalized brush strokes. We will keep you posted via the Surface Blog when this becomes available through Windows Update.

The article is dated May 22, 2014 and as we all know, there still hasn’t been any official announcement…