What's new

Solved Where's the promised Pen Control Panel?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the quote....

I recently (21Sep14) decided to post to N-trig's support webpage, encouraging them to do whatever they could to encourage Microsoft to sign off and release the updated driver for the Pro 3. Their response was:

"...We are working on it now. We will release the option to change the pressure curve in our next FW in the coming month. - N-trig Customer Care Team..."

For reference, I assume they mean some time in October. This is certainly good news...

kristalsoldier

Here is the quote....

I recently (21Sep14) decided to post to N-trig's support webpage, encouraging them to do whatever they could to encourage Microsoft to sign off and release the updated driver for the Pro 3. Their response was:

"...We are working on it now. We will release the option to change the pressure curve in our next FW in the coming month. - N-trig Customer Care Team..."

For reference, I assume they mean some time in October. This is certainly good news...

But that will be a N-Trig update and not an MS one right?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems MS is saying N-Trig should do it and N-Trig is or was saying MS should do it. Id think N-Trig are the ones with the Pen expertise (at least the N-Trig Pen expertise) and would be better positioned to develop a proper pressure calibration panel for their pen. IMO.

I always love it when a vendor throws their SDK at me and asks me to finish their product for them. :)

and with that anyone can get the N-Trig SDK and roll their own. DOH! :eek:

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On N-trig's support site, the have specific driver per device, this for the most part is their WINTAB Driver, just as with a Wacom Digitizer, you download from IHV's site, this was true for both the SP1 and SP2.

The Driver has been jointly developed by N-trig SDEs and Microsoft SDEs utilizing the N-trig Gen 4 Reference Driver.

OP
K

kozak79

Microsoft told a friend of mine at the Adobe event that this months update will have pen drivers which will allow a separate release later this month of the pen control panel. Sounds like good news, but the only thing you can do with it is to change the eraser button and the pressure curve. Reassigning the side buttons (which is the thing that would make the pen useful) is coming in an even later update.

This is kind of ridiculous.

bluegrass

The firmware update we just received this week paves the way for the control panel. Later after the control panel, more pen enhancements will be coming that will allow us to program the pen buttons including the Bluetooth that allows you to start OneNote.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The firmware update we just received this week paves the way for the control panel. Later after the control panel, more pen enhancements will be coming that will allow us to program the pen buttons including the Bluetooth that allows you to start OneNote.
Hmm, maybe we will get pen gestures with shake, rattle, & roll :D

wynand32

Hmm, maybe we will get pen gestures with shake, rattle, & roll :D

Actually, we'll only be able to pick two. So shake and rattle, cool. Rattle and roll, sure. Shake and roll, no problem. But shake, rattle, and roll? No way.