What's new

"Which Model?"

simpspin

Hi, I was wondering which model of surface book would be best for me. I am using it for art without any video editing but some of my pictures are 300 dpi anf are going to be about 800 megs in size via photoshop files with dozens of layers.

Im not worried about the hard drive size since I am using an external hard drive but I'm trying to save money and if I could get away with using the base model i5 would that work or would the Surface lag? Or would the NVIDIA i5 or base model i7 be more substantially smoother?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hello, @simpspin. Welcome to the forum.

I have an i7 Surface Book 512 and an i7 Surface Book 1TB. I use up to 600 dpi with multiple layers for geophysical seismic software, and for art and graphics using Creative Cloud and Corel Paintshop Pro. I know how equally smoothly both my Surface Books work.

I have assisted colleagues with i5 Surface Books, and there is indeed a lag, including what I believe is a lag due to writing to an external drive. The lag is tolerable, but very noticeable.

I would think you would start to regret an i5 in a short time, since you are obviously a power user.

I hope this helps.

OP
S

simpspin

I have an i7 Surface Book 512 and an i7 Surface Book 1TB. I use up to 600 dpi with multiple layers for geophysical seismic software, and for art and graphics using Creative Cloud and Corel Paintshop Pro. I know how equally smoothly both my Surface Books work.

I have assisted colleagues with i5 Surface Books, and there is indeed a lag, including what I believe is a lag due to writing to an external drive. The lag is tolerable, but very noticeable.

I would think you would start to regret an i5 in a short time, since you are obviously a power user.

I hope this helps.

Cool, thanks!

I'll get the i7 256gb model since Amazon has it for a decent price now.

OP
S

simpspin

I hope this helps.

I got one more question. Should I get the 8 gig ram i7 model with a performance base or should I get the i7 16 gig ram "regular" model?