What's new

Which Remote Desktop software works best?

Zoodeem

My company uses GoToMeeting (GTM) by default, including when our tech needs to remote in to install apps on our computers. Just had a weird session where my installer was unable to properly control the mouse after controls on my desktop has been handed over. Apparently GTM has issues with both device as well as display controls.

Question- does anyone have a better remote desktop solution that can allow someone to connect to my SP3 to install some company apps? Ideas welcomed. Thanks.

kundas1

the only one I can think of is "logmein" it allows you to do anything and everything remote log ins...

leeshor

Remote Desktop Manager normally requires some internal tweaks and router changes. LogMeIn is great, so is GoToMyPC, Join.me and Teamviewer. GoToMyPC and LogMeIn are not free but the LogMeIn (LMI) is less expensive than GoTo. I use LMI to access over 120 customer systems sitting at my desk.

I use a LogMeIn Central account which is $299/yr for up to 100 systems and allows remote deployment through an E-Mail link. That's cheap for what it does.

DeltaXray

I've always found TeamViewer great for person-to-person remote work.

For general remote desktop to servers always Microsoft remote desktop client. In fact, their client available in the windows store is one of the best bits of software they've put out in years.

mohcho

Depending on your situation. If you're in the same network Microsoft RDP is good. I use UltraVNC as well.

For simple remote access, my vote would be for TeamViewer. If you have to remote into a system in a bind, and have nothing set up previously, join.me works well too.

double07

On Win including SF3, I mainly use Microsoft RDP. I use Jump Desktop on Mac which is VNC/RDP and I really like this app. The only thing I don't like in SF3 when use RDP, there is no pixel scaling. At least, I couldn't figure out. The resolution is so high, everything is small. I had to change the resolution on my SF3 to get a workable resolution. Other than that, RDP works great.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Used them all, and have settled upon LogMeIn as the best choice: reliability, file transfer, sound, graphic rendering.