What's new

Which Surface Pro 4 issues remain?

wynand32

I'll add that mine didn't do this once yesterday, after doing it a couple of times on Saturday. So it's obviously not a consistent problem even on given machines. Which is just a data point--it doesn't make it any better.

musical9

My issues:
  • Is there a lot number associated with those whose devices exhibit none of the above (running stock) ?

The 4-digit lot number is on the box label. E.g., 1542 means the 42nd week of 2015, hopefully someone with a great unit will report the lot number.

wynand32

So, as an update, my SP4 hasn't exhibited the "wake from Sleep" issue at all today. So that's a good thing. I can live with it not fully going to sleep, because I can always hibernate it when I'm worried about conserving power. So not the end of the world if this much better behavior keeps up.

And I have to add: Windows Hello is awesome so far. Hit the power button, and it's logged in pretty much instantly. Much better than I expected after playing with Hello on a Lumia 950.

wynand32

When that happens, the panel has dropped off the device list. Press Win+P, wait two seconds, then press Win+P a second time. This will throw the screen to a "projector", then bring the focus back to the local screen. The process of changing focus between screen forces a re-detection of the monitors available for connection and the internal panel will then be re-activated.

It's almost certainly a driver issue and, since I found this fix nearly 2 months ago (and posted it on reddit), I'm surprised MS hasn't fixed this bug already. It demonstrates that they are either horribly understaffed or entirely apathetic to the problems on their flagship device.

Okay, so, pretty soon after I said I wasn't having the problem, it happened again. Of course. And the above is exactly what's going on, so thanks.

I understand that the beta Intel drivers might help, but tomorrow is patch Tuesday and a guy can dream, right? If no fix issues tomorrow, Intel drivers it will be.

Mike007

My issues:

Have you or anyone else ever had an issue with the sound driver?
Sometimes on my SPi7 my sound will stop working and i will have a red X showing on the sound icon. I have to reboot or enable / disable in device manager to get it working again.

wynand32

Have you or anyone else ever had an issue with the sound driver?
Sometimes on my SPi7 my sound will stop working and i will have a red X showing on the sound icon. I have to reboot or enable / disable in device manager to get it working again.

Haven't seen that on mine.

Inu

The option to "Create A Hotspot" through command prompt doesn't seem to work on windows 10 very well, but specifically on Surface pro 4 not at all. It's something most people wouldn't use, but with streaming technologies becoming more of a thing, it'll be more common very soon. Basically it's wifi-direct for streaming to other displays. Bypassing the router can be a nice option.

EDIT: Above information isn't correct, see my post a few down.

Last edited:

wynand32

If it is any consolation the late December Beta Video Driver fixes 99% of the power management issues mine wakes from sleep and hibernation.

Okay, so, I installed the beta drivers, and mine still doesn't seem to sleep. Put it to "sleep" and two hours later it went from 54% remaining to 11%. And that was following a reboot with nothing specifically started.

Grrrr.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so, I installed the beta drivers, and mine still doesn't seem to sleep. Put it to "sleep" and two hours later it went from 54% remaining to 11%. And that was following a reboot with nothing specifically started.

Grrrr.
That is odd, my only drained 13% overnight.....

Inu

To correct my previous post after a little research.

Creating a "Hotspot" through the CMD prompt is now considered deprecated starting in windows 8.
Microsoft intends to have us rely on Wifi-Direct apps to accomplish this. (They don't exist) /facepalm