What's new

Which Windows services to turn off

stammie

Whilst I have no complaints about how my Surface 3 is running, there seems an awful lot of Windows services running,
I'm sure not all of these are necessary, to optimise the device further which services would people suggest could be safely disabled?

leeshor

Virtually all those services are necessary for Windows to operate properly. Turn any off at your own risk.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The way i see it is that this is not some samsung machine loaded to the gunwales with bloatware, it's just vanilla windows 8.1 (with the CS tweaks) and as such i never saw any reason to disable anything.

malberttoo

Whilst I have no complaints about how my Surface 3 is running, there seems an awful lot of Windows services running,
I'm sure not all of these are necessary, to optimise the device further which services would people suggest could be safely disabled?

Just to join the chorus that these two guys are singing, you shouldn't disable any Windows services unless you are troubleshooting something or you know for sure what you're doing. :)

OP
S

stammie

Thanks for the replies, I guess I've optimised it as much as I can,
it may be expensive but its a pretty sweet bit of kit :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see it like buying a car and thinking, hey, I don't know what this is but it doesn't seem important :D Chances are it is there for a reason.

Telstar1948

That's what I've often wondered about startup items...you look at them and basically have no idea of what they do or how they'll affect the proper running of the software they're related to.

Telstar1948

...that is, if you drop them from the startup folder, you many times don't know what that will do. Sometimes, it's just something to start software when you boot up, but some of the other ones aren't all that helpful in determining if you need to drop them or not

malberttoo

...that is, if you drop them from the startup folder, you many times don't know what that will do. Sometimes, it's just something to start software when you boot up, but some of the other ones aren't all that helpful in determining if you need to drop them or not

If you look at the items, you can usually tell what it's for. iTunes, QuickTime, Flash Updater, HP-something or other, etc... those are all things that belong to apps you've installed, and while disabling them may prevent the app from functioning properly or at all, Windows itself will probably be fine. I personally do tend to disable most of that kind of stuff, because there aren't very many things that absolutely need to start with Windows.

But Windows processes and services, that stuff I leave alone.

ctitanic

If you look at the items, you can usually tell what it's for. iTunes, QuickTime, Flash Updater, HP-something or other, etc... those are all things that belong to apps you've installed, and while disabling them may prevent the app from functioning properly or at all, Windows itself will probably be fine. I personally do tend to disable most of that kind of stuff, because there aren't very many things that absolutely need to start with Windows.

But Windows processes and services, that stuff I leave alone.
I second this.