What's new

Who can recommend a very good antivirus app?

Can someone recommend a very good antivirus application that is not intrusive? I did a scan yesterday using a free app and found a bunch of Malwares in my comp, although none are threatening to the point of formatting, it still bothers me that I now have to get rid of them..

ctitanic

Did you try running Windows Defender first? Your Pro 3 came with Windows Defender installed if you will Install any other you should disable Windows Defender.

daniielrp

I honestly can't, as I've use MSE, now defender ever since it came out and never used a 3rd party one since.

Arizona Willie

Defender? He wants to get RID of viruses :)

I use AVAST Premier ( paid version ) and have for some years now.
Works really well and they do have a FREE version.

AVAST is on all my computers and tablets.

malberttoo

Can someone recommend a very good antivirus application that is not intrusive?

You could get so many replies to that question!!

In my experience, Microsoft Security Essentials (free) is great if you are, shall we say, "discerning" in your surfing habits. If you don't feel like you can see something shady from a mile away, then like you said, get something stronger. I personally use Nod32 (www.eset.com) on all my machines, but there are several other decent alternatives. As Arizona Willie mentioned above, Avast is a good choice, and I have heard some mention BitDefender as somewhat decent.

My only gripe about most antivirus, is that they are so flashy, and NAG the user about every. single. thing., that most users have no clue what the AV is trying to tell them, and they very quickly learn to ignore the incessant popup messages coming from the system tray.

DanL

This thread will certainly generate some controversy. :D

As mentioned above, NOD32 has always been a great program as well as the free version of Malwarebytes for an on demand scanner. Hitman Pro is a great on demand scanner good at finding and removing bad things.

I'm currently using Kaspersky internet security 2014 version.

Most A/V - Security programs can cause some minor issues and it's best to go to the A/V specific forum and find out what plays well together.

ctitanic

You could get so many replies to that question!!

In my experience, Microsoft Security Essentials (free) is great if you are, shall we say, "discerning" in your surfing habits. If you don't feel like you can see something shady from a mile away, then like you said, get something stronger. I personally use Nod32 (www.eset.com) on all my machines, but there are several other decent alternatives. As Arizona Willie mentioned above, Avast is a good choice, and I have heard some mention BitDefender as somewhat decent.

My only gripe about most antivirus, is that they are so flashy, and NAG the user about every. single. thing., that most users have no clue what the AV is trying to tell them, and they very quickly learn to ignore the incessant popup messages coming from the system tray.

I don't recall when was the last time that I get a virus. For the last probably 5 years all I have been using is Windows Defender. I gave a PC to a friend of mine and 24 hours later he was full of them.

Beside Windows Defender I have a free Anti Malware and that's all.

Capture.PNG

malberttoo

Indeed, and I would agree with you. But most non- IT pros are clueless about knowing where not go, and what not to click.

Seneleron

2nd vote for Avast! [free version] IN CONJUNCTION with Malwarebytes anti-malware and spybot search and destroy.

No ONE program will do it all, but the above is a fairly tight net when combined.

guymalloc

2nd vote for Avast! [free version] IN CONJUNCTION with Malwarebytes anti-malware and spybot search and destroy.

No ONE program will do it all, but the above is a fairly tight net when combined.
I use the same combo, Avast, Spybot and Malwarebytes, on my other 4 systems, am only using Defender and Malwarebytes on my Surface Pro, but I'm very cautious on the internet. ANY anti-virus is vulnerable on it's own. Finding a combination of programs that will happily co-exist on one system is the real challenge. Personally I avoid Norton like the plague......