What's new

Who is pre-ordering? And which model are you pre-ordering?

ARosch

A few months back I decided that I really wanted a Surface Pro. As I began to hear the rumors about what the SP2 was going to have, I strongly considered waiting. Ultimately I decided that although I wanted a bigger SSD and more RAM, I figured it would bump the price above what I was willing to pay for what is really a secondary PC/tablet/toy. The pricing information that has come out validates my decision. I picked up a 128GB SP1 with a type cover for $750 and couldn't be more pleased with my decision.

How did you get a 128gb SP1 with type cover for $750?

demandarin

Even after discount i paid like 1 grand for mines and type cover. I got open box type cover for like 80dollars from best buy also. I asked them if they had any open box pros also..haha

Deryl McCarty

I am pre-ordering the SP2 with 256GB SSD and 8 GB of RAM. I also will get the upgraded type cover 2.

... For me, the SP2 is exactly what I have been waiting for. A true convergent device.

What is everyone else doing? Going with the Surface 2?

I pre-ordered a SP2 256 this morning, though I have yet to receive confirmation. I originally thought to order the type cover 2, but really wanted the power cover which is not available until "early 2014" whatever that means. The original Type Cover works on the sp2 so I can wait without real inconvenience. The SP-128 I have now, with a legal 8.1 RTM is working fine and it is my desk top and laptop with my own version of a docking station (one cable to a radio for amplified sound, one cable MDP to a 22" AOC Monitor, another cable USB 3 to a USB 3 - 10 port into which I plug an MS KB and mouse, CD, Blue Ray, printer, flash drives as necessary and .5T backup). I will get the docking station in "early 2014" to declutterize (?????) my desk top. I do use a 64GB SDXC as the primary storage for documents etc along with the Skydrive. I think the reason I settled on a 256 is because of the SDXC and that it has 8GB ram vice 4. I am not much of a picture saver or even picture taker so 256 is fine, although so is 128. I have yet to use more than about 40 GB of my 128 and 20 of my 64GB SDXC.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Dim-Ize

Dang! I'm late to the party...

I just joined this forum - so very, very excited about my new Surface Pro. Love it! With the Bluetooth mouse, Wedge Keyboard, and Type cover + cool case - I'm absolutely satisfied with this purchase. Yesterday, I joined Steam and bought a USB Xbox controller.

My first post on this forum and I'm reading the Surface Pro 2...? Sorry to be such a late bloomer. I have had mine since 8/31 and have 60 days to return it with Best Buy Silver. But, it is loaded up and tweaked... ugh

For a few hundred more - that's a no brainer for me. I wish I had waited. Undecided if it would be worth it for the upgrade. Memory is fine for me, battery life is fine. But a marginal improvement in memory and horsepower... ugh why oh why... :p

oion

I just joined this forum - so very, very excited about my new Surface Pro. Love it! With the Bluetooth mouse, Wedge Keyboard, and Type cover + cool case - I'm absolutely satisfied with this purchase. Yesterday, I joined Steam and bought a USB Xbox controller.

My first post on this forum and I'm reading the Surface Pro 2...? Sorry to be such a late bloomer. I have had mine since 8/31 and have 60 days to return it with Best Buy Silver. But, it is loaded up and tweaked... ugh

For a few hundred more - that's a no brainer for me. I wish I had waited. Undecided if it would be worth it for the upgrade. Memory is fine for me, battery life is fine. But a marginal improvement in memory and horsepower... ugh why oh why... :p

Keep in mind that the most common complaint about the Pro v1 was battery life; if it's actually fine for you, then the "marginal improvement" in memory/horsepower is probably not worth the entire effort of upgrading (IMO; moving from one tweaked machine to another is a complete PITA, I know).

But it's actually the side improvements beyond mere performance spec that can make the real difference when it comes to workflow and personal use. Two kickstand angles; would you like a real dock? No idea how the bluetooth keyboard thing works, but it does look cool. Fortunately, both Pros are compatible with the battery cover coming in 2014, so even if battery life wasn't good for you on SP1, you could go that route.

Sounds like it comes down to buyer's regret due to timing, because you're on the fence and the SP2 improvements--the biggest being battery life--doesn't seem like a big deal to you. ;) How much faster is worth a "few hundred," in your case, if the other things like kickstand and battery life aren't as important?

Edit to add: I preordered the RT2. The spec differences with RT1 are significant enough that can justify it, especially since I keep devices long-term (usually I go every other generation). I didn't want a Pro because I already have a gaming desktop, and an RT is much better for my mobile productivity, otherwise I'd be distracted by too many things, I imagine. :p

Last edited:

Dim-Ize

Keep in mind that the most common complaint about the Pro v1 was battery life; if it's actually fine for you, then the "marginal improvement" in memory/horsepower is probably not worth the entire effort of upgrading (IMO; moving from one tweaked machine to another is a complete PITA, I know)...

Sounds like it comes down to buyer's regret due to timing, because you're on the fence and the SP2 improvements--the biggest being battery life--doesn't seem like a big deal to you. ;) How much faster is worth a "few hundred," in your case, if the other things like kickstand and battery life aren't as important?

Thanks oion - that's very good insight. I think you nailed it for me. Moving from one tweaked box to another is hours... I found this thread about battery life: How To: Optimize Microsoft Surface Pro Battery Life

Plus, I have a car charger. So, my real issue is wanting it slightly better for gaming. To me - this is an incredible solution. I've "retired" my company issued laptop, moved all our VPN, corporate data, etc over to the Surface as I manage the Southeast US for the company and airport / travel is soooo much better with the surface than before. But, I love to have games on the road. While it isn't a hardcore gaming machine, it's actually pretty good for middle of the road games and a few of the games in the Store like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger play very smooth with a controller. I can only imagine the new one would be better for my gaming fix. But, probably not by much.

Going to replace my CrackBerry fix with this site for a few months. So much on here. Looks like a great community.

demandarin

You gonna love steam. Once I got my pro, it was the first time I used steam. Now I used up so Mich of my 128gb memory that I had to switch my steam games to my high speed class 10 SanDisk microsd card. It's easy to do of you ever find yourself running out of space. You can do it through steam or another method. Bit it allows you to choose where to save games to. Still amazed how capable of a gaming system the pro is. I have lots of the newest games that just came out and they play great on the pro. Beats paying top dollar for console system games. Steam always has killer deals going on. Plus when.u beat a game, u can just uninstall it and its still on steam library. If u want to free up space.

I'm in the same boat also. I got my pro 8/10. If I would've known new version was coming so soon i would've waited. But pro 1 still amazes me everyday. Still deciding on if I will upgrade or when. Even the new Surface2 RT looks tempting.

That battery optimizing thread link works. I did this a couple weeks back. Created new power plan profile based on it. I pulled over 6hrs. Of usuage on my pro with it.

Last edited:

Dim-Ize

You gonna love steam. Once I got my pro, it was the first time I used steam. Now I used up so Mich of my 128gb memory that I had to switch my steam games to my high speed class 10 SanDisk microsd card. It's easy to do of you ever find yourself running out of space. You can do it through steam or another method. Bit it allows you to choose where to save games to. Still amazed how capable of a gaming system the pro is. I have lots of the newest games that just came out and they play great on the pro. Beats paying top dollar for console system games. Steam always has killer deals going on. Plus when.u beat a game, u can just uninstall it and its still on steam library. If u want to free up space.

I'm in the same boat also. I got my pro 8/10. If I would've known new version was coming so soon i would've waited. But pro 1 still amazes me everyday. Still deciding on if I will upgrade or when. Even the new Surface2 RT looks tempting.

Thanks, Demandarin! Will explore the options you mentioned re: Steam.

Regarding the upgrade - I haven't dove deep enough yet in the specific items it would enhance for me. Frankly, it's the fact that I "just bought" the SP1 and join this site to get some insight - and the update hit me in the face. I just haven't been following it. If it's just battery life, two extra kickstand placements (not an issue with the type of case I have), and more RAM - then it may not be enough to worry about for the next year. But, if that extra memory and CPU would significantly improve gaming... I'd really consider it. I will read if the GPU is the same. That'd probably push me over the line if it is an upgrade too.

OP
eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot

The GPU appears to be an integrated HD4400 versus an integrated HD4000. My bet is that it'll help some, but not a ton. When I get my SP2 I will run some games and benchmarks.

joga

I'm not sure which one i want/need. Right now i have a SP1 and mostly i use office, read a book (kindle) or watch movies (plex app). Most of it could be done with the Surface2. Unfortunately i like the digitiser of the sp1.

I may order a Surface 2 64 gb and a SP2 128gb, test both for a few days and keep the one who fits my need...

I work in germany and i dont kmow if we will get a trade off program for the sp1, so my sp1 will be sold.

Btw... does anyone knows if the ipad trade off program will be offered in Germany too?

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

olimjj

I hope this is not too much off topic but does anyone have any idea how the connected touch or type covers affect power consumption if any? any thoughts? This might be a potential way of squeezing out some more battery time if one were to go Bluetooth, and might justify their new Bluetooth keyboard adapter, or any Bluetooth keyboard for that matter.

Last edited:

drolem

I hope this is not too much off topic but does anyone have any idea how the connected touch or type covers affect power consumption if any? any thoughts?
They use very little power, so I think the effect is probably no more than 5% reduction.