What's new

Who is running without virus software?

Mikewired

Haven't planned on putting any virus software on my sp3. Maybe coming from a mac I am just in that frame of mind. In my previous win experiences the virus software always choked and slowed the machine. I keep things backed up and only run few installed programs. I was thinking that if I did get hit I would just restore and reinstall a few programs.

ctitanic

Windows 8.1 comes with Windows Defender so in theory you are not without any AV. So disabling Defender and installing any other will not slow your Surface any more than what it's now. And I don't thing that it's slow.

olimjj

I also use Windows Defender, but I periodically supplement it with the free versions of Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and CCleaner, run manually on demand.

On my Alienware M17x R3 laptop I ran, Avast Antivirus, Comodo Firewall, CCleaner, and Malwarebytes. After running that setup for years, on my new Surface Pro 3, I run NOTHING! Absolutely nothing. I been an avid visitor of PH and KAT for years, and feel I don't need any of that stuff. Honestly, I don't. I use roboform to login to everything as well, so rarely, if ever type my username and password. Antivirus is over-rated, and for the unknowing. The only thing I might actually install on my SP3 is Comodo Firewall. I have been DDOS'ed a few times by angry players that I destroy in a few PC games. It's all good though!

annabanana

It's my opinion that being on the internet nowadays without antivirus / antimalware protection is just foolish. So many websites get compromised with malicious links to very nasty malware and there are many malicious ads (malvertisements) that lurk on everyday normal websites, it's taking a big risk to not have any protection. I used to work as a malware researcher and I saw the underbelly of the interwebs on a daily basis and it ain't pretty. Anyone who runs without protection and hasn't got infected is just lucky. Your computer could be owned and sending spam or participating in DDOS attacks and you won't know it.
/steps down from soapbox ...