What's new

Who is running without virus software?

guymalloc

Just using Windows Defender since day 1 on my SP1, Have the free version of Malwarebyes installed, and run a scan with it each week before doing a system image backup, never had a problem. Use Avast on my other PC's, and it doesn't slow them down that I've noticed.....

Secutor

I noticed Windows Defender constantly hovering around 0.1%-0.5% of CPU usage in Task Manager, even in idle mode.

So I installed Kaspersky Anti-virus 2015 and the CPU utilisation for it is mostly 0% when idle.

But I do use Windows Defender in my other Windows machines.

Tim Finnigan

I tried to unzip a file and - after 20 yrs of using WinZip- I was told I needed a yearly $8 subscription. I really needed the file and tried to buy Winzip thru the Store but it would NOT download. Found out I already had same crap malware running me thru a proxy server. I was off the Mac for 3 weeks and back into virus hell so I am not impressed with Defender. ! The Microsoft store at the Mall said to get Hit Man Pro- it does not run in background. But it apparently cleans out crap that defender lets slip by. I still do not know how I got it- the only downloads I have came from the store and from my Toshiba- other addons that are scanned and proven ok. REgards

Lobo

I'm currently testing Kaspersky, since it supports Connected Standby and it doesn't seem to slow things down at all.

Since I swap lots of flash drives on the job, I need to run an AV solution, but as has been mentioned before: Common sense is still the best AV in most cases.

Chuck_IV

I'm currently testing Kaspersky, since it supports Connected Standby and it doesn't seem to slow things down at all.

Since I swap lots of flash drives on the job, I need to run an AV solution, but as has been mentioned before: Common sense is still the best AV in most cases.

Running Kaspersky here too. I don't see any negative effects running it. Made sense to install it since I had a 5 device license.

Only issue I had with it(not really an issue tho) was when I tried to enable Hyper V. Hyper V wouldn't enable with Kaspersky installed. So I had to uninstalled Kaspersky, enabled Hyper V and then reinstall Kaspersky.

King

I stand corrected. Upon further searching, I found out that Windows Defender that previously came with XP/Vista/7 only had the Anti-Spyware component. After Windows 8, the Security Essentials includes Anti-Virus.

note3

I talked to man who works for a computer repair company.
He told me, that they take Windows Defender as the first virus program to check an infected computer.