What's new

Who is running without virus software?

I stick with Windows Defender and then once a week run Malwarebytes and Spybot (both free on Cnet downloads), never had a problem.

Geneo

Running around the internet today (even using "safe" practices) without any AV is.... well, you deserve what you get (and you probably already got it, and you're spreading it around to others.)

Go to AV-test.org as suggested. Click on the Home User tab, then "Protection" in the right hand column to sort. Windows Defender comes in dead last- and has for years. You just think you're protected cause nothings happened.... that you know of.

I'd at least use Avast!. It's free, pretty good, fully automatic, and does not slow your machine down.

Personally, I use Bitdefender. I get a 'Monthly Security Report'. The last one said 46 files had been cleaned last month, even though I also practice "safe" computing. What does that tell you?

leeshor

Question, who here didn't bother checking the link I posted that mentioned the best free AV software, (according to the company that does that sort of thing)?

OPTiK

When choosing an antivirus (free or otherwise) you really need to pay attention to whether or not it has a laptop mode. Basically the A/V will not run extensive tests, and will cut back on processing power when it detects that the laptop is running off battery. I've tried a trial version of nod32 but I think it's using too much battery, my next step is to try BitDefender since it has great reviews and has a laptop mode as well. My goal is to get at least 7 hours of battery life!

leeshor

Windows Defender and Malwarebytes for the past few years. No worries at all.
Famous last words. ;)

I can tell you from experience that Malwarebytes is pretty good, (not great) after malware has entered the system and is far from perfect, but it does very little in the way of prevention.

annabanana

The paid version of Malwarebytes has real time protection but still doesn't do a very good job of prevention according to reviews and tests.

Enrico D.

Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg

I use avast, the most 2 populars antivirus are avast and avg. I like more avast because it is more pratical on my view.

When avast is enabled seem that I can have windows defender active also, at least for what I remember from windows control panels, I will go to check now again.

I don't remember to have ever used windows defender because I always used avg and avast because everybody was using it and I think are updated well with latest viruses.

Now the question is, who is able to tell me and explain if could worth to disable avast and use just windows defender? is it risky?

In the task manager I don't see any load that is causing issue from avast, so I have no reason to change for that, but usually avast has a lot of protection and scanning when I surf, download a file etc etc so some time load cpu of course. Don't know with windows defender.