What's new

Who is using Windows 10 on Surface 3?

HeavyHanded

I upgraded once on 2nd Surface 3, but once it failed and I RMA'd it, the replacement came with Windows 8.1. However I ran into lots of difficulties connecting my Surface 3 to projectors under Windows 8.1, it would lose connection the projector (Display Port to VGA adapter) for no reason at all. Requiring a reboot and ruining the flow of my presentation. After consulting with Microsoft, I was recommended to upgrade to Windows 10. Problem solved. I've been using my S3 for the week with problems at all with projectors. However, the Windows 10 experience is anything but fast and fluid. It is more like janky and laggy. The brightness controls are comically simple and lacking, and all the apps have lost functionality compared with their Windows 8.1 counterparts. Microsoft loves reinventing the wheel and starting from scratch. Still, since they are no longer improving Windows 8.1, I have no choice but to stick with Windows 10.

kristalsoldier

I have updated my SP3 and S3 to Win 10. I like Win 10 on the SP3 which I usually use in desktop mode. While I have no real problem with Win 10, I do find that it has negatively impacted the battery life as compared to W8.1.

On the S3, I use Win 10 in pure tablet mode - used for reading, writing (using the Stylus only), and surfing/ messaging etc. I am not sure I am really enamoured by the tablet experience and I have to agree with those who found the tablet experience in 8.1 to be much better. At first, I was very critical of the vertical scrolling change - in some ways, I still am, but I have adjusted to it. But I do miss the more tablet-centric touches of W8.1. I hope the Oct-Nov update to Win 10 fixes these things and restores the tablet elements to Win 10.

I have still not updated my desktop machine. That is still running W8.1.

jychow

Hi. Would uninstalling updates applied during Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10 help to free up some disk space?

Thanks in advance.

leeshor

Hi. Would uninstalling updates applied during Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10 help to free up some disk space?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum

I don't think that would be a good idea as some of those updates are needed in order to update to Windows 10. The way they get uninstalled probably wouldn't save all that much space anyway. Check the link in my signature for some cleanup suggestions.

jychow

Welcome to the forum

I don't think that would be a good idea as some of those updates are needed in order to update to Windows 10. The way they get uninstalled probably wouldn't save all that much space anyway. Check the link in my signature for some cleanup suggestions.

Thanks. I'm using the 64GB version. Thought of saving every MB possible. :)