What's new

Who Will be Upgrading?

godashram

I thought about it... the ONLY thing that really irks me is i just bought my SP2 at the end of Feb. an 8GB/256GB config is $100 cheaper than the SP2 equivalent. But I think a 10" unit is a bit more portable/useful for me. Also the Wacom stylus has more levels of pressure. I would like the better battery life and the double click the stylus to open onenote feature though.

jwin

I think many of Microsoft tablet users are on a 2-3 year lifecycle. I see this as the first iteration and will wait for the broadwell version or later. I can still get 6 hours of note taking on my surface pro which is enough for now. I think I will halt all accessory purchases for my surface pro and put it towards the next version though which looks very nice.

maikalwolf

Am on first gen 64 gigs I picked up on eBay a week ago for 162.00US. Still learning to use the SRT. The more I see and read the more I'm liking it. Besides the SP3 is out of my price range right now and for the immediate future. Even SP2 is a bit more than I can afford unless I can find a good deal on eBay or from some one who is selling their cheap. But hey, I'm drinking my milk and eating my veggies and saying my prayers and maybe Santa will be good to me this year! Lol.

The 10.6" screen of my Surface RT has been perfect for me, and it's done exactly what I needed it to do. It doesn't appear that they are going to upgrade the RT format, though. It's verging on time for me to upgrade and I'm going to let the pro 3 get some time under it's belt before I decide whether to upgrade to pro 2 or pro 3.

guymalloc

I waited over a year to get a surface pro 1. Not because of cost, but to give Microsoft time to work out the bugs. I have been more than ecstatic with the pro 1. I might look at a pro 3 for the screen size, but only after it's been proven. Too soon to jump on the new tech bandwagon makes for unhappy customers, and I've noticed too many techies are soon to complain when their new toy doesn't work perfectly....

ibenzawla

I doubt I will be at such a price. Plus my RT handles my daily tasks well and for those times I need to do something more challenging I would pull out my laptop. Don't get me wrong the SP3 is a great addition to the Surface family however I doubt it will be flying off the shelf. At $800 plus the $140 keyboard (since my new Type Cover 2 isn't compatible with it) the SP3 stops making sense to me and I really don't care about how wonderful it is. A cheaper Surface tablet is a getaway to the struggling Windows mobile platform but now please tell me how many people will be willing to try out a $1,000 tablet and see if they like it.

Last edited:

macmee

To those of us who have a 256GB SP2, we could sell our device for what, around $900 USD right now?

We could pick up a SP3 i5 for $1300 again or i7 even for $1550 (ignoring tax which fluctuates severely depending on where you are).

I'm going to say if we go for the i7 this time around we'll be out atleast $700ish dollars, probably more like $850 if we opt into the keyboard.

-----

The frustration for me is that I love how the SP3 is thinner, has better battery life, but hate how it's 12 inches and so expensive. I'd only consider upgrading if it wouldn't cost me nearly 1 grand, because for the next few months all I have is an older macbook.

rubaxter

Wow! I've been Jobbed by both Apple AND Microsoft.

Bought an iPad 3 and got Jobbed within 6 months by the release of the iPad4, that should have been the iPad3.

Bought a Surface Pro 2 and got Jobbed within 6 months by the announced release of the Surface Pro 3, that should have been the Surface Pro 2. And, the docking station, etc won't work on upgrade.

Be a frigid day in Upper Hell before I plonk down any change on either one of these product lines, again.

Seen several articles analyzing how tablet buying habits are being reassessed due to people using them longer than expected and passing on older ones to relatives. Perhaps that's why MS is switching to a completely different niche with the Surface Pro 3, to try and shift to an unsaturated market segment?

At any rate, I won't be niche-ing along with an upgrade as if I wanted a touchscreen laptop I'd buy one with more capability/flexibility, just like the Mac ultra actually is (and, who knows what the 2014WWDC will unveil next week).

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Well remember the Surface Pro 2 is currently still being sold along with the new model... it's 'different' but iirc the hardware specifications aren't actually any better? So I wouldn't say you've been 'jobbed' at all, it's just personal preference. For instance as you can see, macmee above prefers the smaller screen! As actually, do I.

You say both Apple & Microsoft have done this to you... but dude, every company does it these days. Just be happy with what you've got, otherwise you're going to have a lot of frustrating times in your life! I have the original Surface Pro and just because other models have come out, hasn't taken away from me how much I like this device :)