What's new

Who's getting a Surface 3 on Tuesday?

tgienger

The benefit to costco is you get a 90 day return period. You are right though that you get to choose your colors for type pad and pen. So theres a trade off.

Additionally, for those not wanting to buy the protection plan from Microsoft that increases warranty to 2 years, Costco increases the warranty on computers to 2 years for free, but it doesn't cover accident protection.

Another option for those interested, if you have a Best Buy nearby there is a good chance they will honor your student discount from MS store. You will need to bring in proof. I've been able to use my cell phone on the webpage for proof on other things. Just something to consider.

malberttoo

Additionally, for those not wanting to buy the protection plan from Microsoft that increases warranty to 2 years, Costco increases the warranty on computers to 2 years for free, but it doesn't cover accident protection.

Right, the point to take away there is that Microsoft's plan includes 2 accidental damage incidents.

malberttoo

Doesn't the 1 year hardware warranty cover wear and tear? Though obviously not drops.

No warranty could possibly cover wear and tear, because that's too subjective.

The Surface warranty provides one year against manufacturer defects. But no wear and tear or anything like that. There are members on this forum who have sent their Surfaces in for repair under warranty, only to be denied because their unit "looked" as if it had been abused, etc.

OP
M

mtalinm

I got a Surface 2 replaced even though my kid had beat it up pretty badly. maybe it is easier to replace in person than via mail.

jev425

I ordered my surface 3 and pen through Amazon and my pen should be here tomorrow and the surface should be here Wednesday. Hopefully Amazon just ships it tomorrow so I get it Tuesday

bronsky

Costco increases the warranty on computers to 2 years for free, but it doesn't cover accident protection.

I think my American Express doubles the warranty as well when you use it for the purchase. I pick mine up in the morning.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No warranty could possibly cover wear and tear, because that's too subjective.

The Surface warranty provides one year against manufacturer defects. But no wear and tear or anything like that. There are members on this forum who have sent their Surfaces in for repair under warranty, only to be denied because their unit "looked" as if it had been abused, etc.

This is where it get's a little bit grey though with regard to MS. My type cover has a tiny cut in the material on one corner where my palms lie. It is maybe 3mm wide, it does not effect anything and is not a design flaw, just expected wear and tear. However MS were still perfectly happy to send me a replacement up until the end of my 12 month hardware warranty. But you are correct in that wear and tear is almost never covered, but some companies are often willing to use discretion if it appears to offer a greater benefit than just sticking to the wording on the t&c.