What's new

Who's getting one?

Just returned from Best Buy where they had a demo unit on display. I have an SP3 and S3 and love both devices. On the launch day I ordered the new keyboard with fingerprint reader and the pen as daveyp did. Now today I got a chance to touch and feel the whole shebang. I am happy with my choice as the new keyboard feels AMAZING and the pen is great with the way it feels on the screen. (I may need to pull off the glass screen cover it felt so great). The pen definitely has some weight to it which has an excellent feel. Still cannot get over the feeling of the keyboard though.

As far as the SP3 vs 4, I will not need to justify the upgrade as it is not a big enough jump for me to make the upgrade. Yes, it is a bit thinner, but not enough of a difference for me.

Just my 2 cents.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just returned from Best Buy where they had a demo unit on display. I have an SP3 and S3 and love both devices. On the launch day I ordered the new keyboard with fingerprint reader and the pen as daveyp did. Now today I got a chance to touch and feel the whole shebang. I am happy with my choice as the new keyboard feels AMAZING and the pen is great with the way it feels on the screen. (I may need to pull off the glass screen cover it felt so great). The pen definitely has some weight to it which has an excellent feel. Still cannot get over the feeling of the keyboard though.

As far as the SP3 vs 4, I will not need to justify the upgrade as it is not a big enough jump for me to make the upgrade. Yes, it is a bit thinner, but not enough of a difference for me.

Just my 2 cents.
Did you try the new pen on the SP3 or S3? I'm wondering how much that custom chip in the SP4 contributes to the overall experience.

Glad to hear Best Buy has demo units... that will be much more accessible to me.

vxm

I found out that Microsoft is finally coming to my third world country (Poland) with Surface devices :) Pre-orders starting soon! I will be upgrading from SP3 mid-January I think. I would do it right away but I can't get rid of SP3 till Jan, as I bought it on my firm account. Among benefits I got tax refund and tax is lowered for some time after purchase. Downside is that I can't sell it until 1 year passes in case of unexpected inspection. It's ok though, I will be able to see issues people are having with new model :)

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I found out that Microsoft is finally coming to my third world country (Poland) with Surface devices :) Pre-orders starting soon! I will be upgrading from SP3 mid-January I think. I would do it right away but I can't get rid of SP3 till Jan, as I bought it on my firm account. Among benefits I got tax refund and tax is lowered for some time after purchase. Downside is that I can't sell it until 1 year passes in case of unexpected inspection. It's ok though, I will be able to see issues people are having with new model :)

I'm surprised they didn't have more information about releases in other countries at the event... maybe there just wasn't time. It's never been one of Microsoft's strong points tbh! Glad you're going to get the chance to purchase though :)

Reactions: vxm

razzta01

I don't see the point in carrying a phone if my tablet had 4G. Just another bill to pay. I do not own a cell phone and thus I do not carry one. I do carry my SP3 around for presentations, meetings, etc. When I am off work I COMPLETELY disconnect. No need for a mobile.
I completely agree with you. This is the point for some of us. I do have a mobile but switch it off at weekends or when i amoff work times...and would love to have LTE an use my LTE sim.

LuckyL

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet with limited availability in Europe but looking at the specs, I am whelmed.

Like:

- slimmer
- larger screen with higher resolution at same footprint
- improved trackpad, improved keyboard
- 16GB RAM Option

Dislike:

- the new dock, I want a dock where I can position the Surface and slide it shut, not some dongle I have to fumble into a slot that is pointing backwards. The old dock is supposed to be compatible but I hear it needs a spacer which is unavailable. After my experience with the SP2 dock this spells bad news for customers outside the US.
- Windows 10: the UI has been dumbed down, the settings have been moved back all over the place and, most importantly, compared to Windows 8.1 the tablet experience is terrible. Particularly with Edge as replacement for modern IE. A tablet browser that doesn't even support gestures (amongst many other things) is not fit for release.

So I don't think I'll get one, keep my SP2 and hope that once I need a refresh there will be alternatives.