What's new

Who's getting one?

Kif

Actually, I heard a rumor that the SP5 will be coming early '16 on the tail of the Intel crystalstream processor release. :p

I would love to be the yes camp but it's too much of a hassle to mess around with selling my SP3.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually, I heard a rumor that the SP5 will be coming early '16 on the tail of the Intel crystalstream processor release. :p

I would love to be the yes camp but it's too much of a hassle to mess around with selling my SP3.

I normally just end up taking old gaming pc's and laptops to the dump because as you say, it's a hassle, from postage, to finding a buyer, to ebay fees, you name it. Luckily I managed to make the majority of my university class rather envious of my SP3 so fingers crossed I should find a buyer if I offer it at a good price :)

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Just looked at what my Surface is worth at store trade in... £145! Without cover. Actually not too bad considering it's generations behind.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt about it if it has Skylake. I'll get the 14" if they make one.

I think i'd do the same. the S3 has now fulfilled all my ultraportable note taking needs, so a 14" one would be pretty sweet and would help justify having 2 devices :p

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Interesting most people would like a bigger machine... I'm not sure myself. For using as a main device around the house it would be nice, but I do like tablets smaller for portability and mine's usually connected to an external monitor anyway. Hopefully there'll be two models to keep everyone happy :)

dstrauss

This is a REALLY tough call (especially for a serial computer buyer such as myself). IF the SPro 4 is a real CPU and GPU upgrade (come on Microsoft, spring for Iris for crying out loud), and included a second USB (Type C) port, I'd be sorely tempted. Throw in 14" in a slightly larger, bezel-less frame, and I'd be there in a heartbeat. My gut tells me we're more in for a spec bump than geometric progression, but we'll see soon enough.

On that 14" size, WHY can't they make it completely bezel-less for desktop mode, and switch to software enforced bezels in tablet mode?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a REALLY tough call (especially for a serial computer buyer such as myself). IF the SPro 4 is a real CPU and GPU upgrade (come on Microsoft, spring for Iris for crying out loud), and included a second USB (Type C) port, I'd be sorely tempted. Throw in 14" in a slightly larger, bezel-less frame, and I'd be there in a heartbeat. My gut tells me we're more in for a spec bump than geometric progression, but we'll see soon enough.

On that 14" size, WHY can't they make it completely bezel-less for desktop mode, and switch to software enforced bezels in tablet mode?
At the moment we can't scale from different size screens without problems, and you want to rescale the same screen seamlessly. currently I find myself toggling back and forth between desktop and tablet for tablet use cases because neither fits. They have a lot of unfinished work yet even for one fixed screen.

I hope it can be downgraded to Windows 8.1

Last edited:

vsherry

A bezel-less screen would create difficulty with webcam placement. I can't see doing that to a tablet. That is the biggest XPS 13 drawback. I don't want people to Skype with my chin.

I honestly don't get the fervor for a larger screen. If I wanted a 14-inch screen, I'd turn to a thin and light laptop with a better keyboard over a detachable. Anything that size will be unwieldy in tablet mode.

I doubt I'll upgrade. The current Surface fulfills my needs and use cases too well.

kristalsoldier

A bezel-less screen would create difficulty with webcam placement. I can't see doing that to a tablet. That is the biggest XPS 13 drawback. I don't want people to Skype with my chin.

I honestly don't get the fervor for a larger screen. If I wanted a 14-inch screen, I'd turn to a thin and light laptop with a better keyboard over a detachable. Anything that size will be unwieldy in tablet mode.

I doubt I'll upgrade. The current Surface fulfills my needs and use cases too well.

I am thinking the same way - at least where the SP4 is concerned. My current SP3 and S3 combo is serving me well. A 14" device? I'd turn to the ThinkPad Carbon then. As things stand, I would probably (most likely) sit out the SP4 and see what lies ahead. On a side note, I do hope MS tightens W10 (and core services like OneDrive, Mail and Messaging etc.) in addition to stabilizing and optimizing the OS further including the tablet mode. These tweaks would go a long way in optimizing the Surface experience all around for existing and new devices.

Kif

I don't see a 14" tablet as being very usable for most people. I already find the 12" size a bit cumbersome. I think a 14" laptop as a better offering.