What's new

Who's getting one?

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

So with the next Surface event only being 2 weeks away now, I am going to wait and see what's revealed before placing my order! Tom Warren reckons we're on to see the Surface Pro 5... I'm not so sure. If it is I'll have a hard choice to make! Will probably come down to price/size/colours.

convergent

So with the next Surface event only being 2 weeks away now, I am going to wait and see what's revealed before placing my order! Tom Warren reckons we're on to see the Surface Pro 5... I'm not so sure. If it is I'll have a hard choice to make! Will probably come down to price/size/colours.

I'm in kind of a bad spot for that new event that might be SP5. I bought my SP4 on 4/21 and I believe the event is scheduled for 5/21, which is just past the return period. I guess I'll watch the rumor mill leading up to it and decide if I want to go through the hassle of returning and rebuilding a new machine for whatever the new capability is. My guess is that it will be better on battery life (due to new processor) and marginally faster and that's about it. I got the free dock and another deal that effectively made the keyboard free after buying extended warranty and renewing Office 365, so at a minimum it would be probably $300 more. Then there is the time period that new machines have bugs and problems that I'd avoid. Unless there is some big rumor about something big in the new machines I'll probably sit tight. I really like the SP4.

BubbaUK

No SPro5? Maybe they'll jump straight to the SPro 6 for the LOLZ, or maybe it will just be called Surface Pro. Or Surface Pro Air. Or New Surface Pro. Or SPro 4 Redux.

Either way, the current discounting suggests something is coming along to replace the current models.

convergent

I'd really be surprised if they announce a SP follow on after he said the SP5 didn't exist. I get that its technically accurate if they call it something else but these guys generally don't say things that would piss people off... which that would. I'm guessing that there will be a follow on, it will come later in 2017, and it will probably just be called Surface Pro (or some completely new name). But I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Well you were half right lol.

So not much to see but a couple of solid upgrades with the battery life and fanless i5.

I'm not bothered on form factor, my first choice between the two (Laptop & Pro) was going to be the price. With the keyboard added (which of course you must do) the Pro works out more expensive for the same specification. So, I'll probably go with the Laptop. I think both have their advantages but maybe the bigger size will suit me more now I (probably) have to get rid of my desk setup, thanks to a baby!

Out of interest, anyone know how the new Pro m3 compares to the original Pro i5? I don't think I could do it though, would seem like a downgrade either way!

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Bummer. Literally had the card in the hand today ready to order this... just thought I'd check over the specs one more time. Then it hit me! No SD card slot o_O damn, without that it's a total no go for me. What a shame, and a terrible decision! Why would they do this on a device larger than the Pro?

Oh well, guess it's the Pro for me then, which is more expensive, but still cheaper than getting the 256Gb Laptop.

convergent

Bummer. Literally had the card in the hand today ready to order this... just thought I'd check over the specs one more time. Then it hit me! No SD card slot o_O damn, without that it's a total no go for me. What a shame, and a terrible decision! Why would they do this on a device larger than the Pro?

Oh well, guess it's the Pro for me then, which is more expensive, but still cheaper than getting the 256Gb Laptop.

I pre-ordered the new Pro too. i5, 8G, 256G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well you were half right lol.

So not much to see but a couple of solid upgrades with the battery life and fanless i5.

I'm not bothered on form factor, my first choice between the two (Laptop & Pro) was going to be the price. With the keyboard added (which of course you must do) the Pro works out more expensive for the same specification. So, I'll probably go with the Laptop. I think both have their advantages but maybe the bigger size will suit me more now I (probably) have to get rid of my desk setup, thanks to a baby!

Out of interest, anyone know how the new Pro m3 compares to the original Pro i5? I don't think I could do it though, would seem like a downgrade either way!

CPU Comparisons:
PassMark - CPU Performance Comparison

UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-3317U vs m3-7Y30

GPU Comparisons:
PassMark - Video Card Performance Comparison

Userbenchmark doesn't list the HD 615 in the m3-7Y30 but they have the 610 and 620 so 615 will be somewhere is between them.
610: UserBenchmark: Intel HD 610 (Desktop Kaby Lake) vs 4000 1.15 GHz)
620: UserBenchmark: Intel HD 4000 (Desktop 1.15 GHz) vs 620 (Mobile Kaby Lake)
615: aproximately +27% effective speed, +46% average user bench

JMac

Talked to a "Microsoft Expert" at my local Best Buy today. He indicated that the Surface Laptop is scheduled to be put out on display at BB's on June 11th.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I now have my Pro pre-ordered :)

At least the UK gets the differently coloured keyboards! So I have a burgundy one coming... nice to get a change away from black. Quidco (cashback) made my order come in just under a grand, thankfully.

Kind of built myself up to wanting the Laptop, but I guess there are some advantages with the Pro such as being fanless (and slightly faster i5)

What is this forum doing about a sub-section for the new model? It can't go under the current 'Surface Pro' surely (unless you put all the Pros together which I personally think would be a good idea, this place is becoming a little fragmented - or even just 'current Pro' and 'previous Pros')