What's new

Poll Who's got an i7 and hasn't had any overheating?

Who's got an i7 and hasn't had any Thermal shut down?

• Total voters

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just wondered how many i7 users here have not experienced overheating/thermometer icon (whether or not we believe Microsoft that the thermometer wasn't necessarily a problem with heat but a software glitch)?

I got a bit worried before I got my i7 that it would be a fire-breathing monster that would over heat at the first opportunity, however mine's been good as gold, I've not seen the thermometer icon yet and it doesn't spin the fan up on normal browsing/ office and photoshop activity (except when doing things I know are processor intensive and of course I expect that!!). At the beginning it used to spin the fan a lot when downloading but I haven't really had that as much lately - it only got going for a very brief time (a few seconds) while downloading and installing the latest updates.

So who has and who hasn't had the same experience I have with their i7?

InspectHerGadget

I had mine for almost two weeks and returned it because I didn't like the writing and pen part of it.

The i7 was blisteringly fast. The speed in fact surprised me greatly.

I never had any heating issues and only heard the fan (barely) a few times.

darkyduck

I have an i7 512 and never seen the icon and/or overheat problem. During heavy updates/installs/games the fan will kick in and the back gets warm but I expected that and it's no problem for me whatsoever.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is actually the first i7 I've ever had. I've had overheating issues before on an Acer laptop and my old Dell i5 runs fans full blast what seems like all the time though it never actually shuts down with it.

mtalinm

my overheating / runaway fan issues went away with the latest firmware update. prior to that, the fan would run pretty much all day with two external monitors daisy chained, but not really anymore.

I also implemented some of ctitanic's tricks for indexing options as well as installing the Adobe iFilter, before the firmware update. they sort of helped, but the firmware made a bigger difference.

currently noodling whether to upgrade to i7/512

Sassi

I have an i7 and it gets quite warm when updating, but for the most part it's really good. I've had it just over a week and only had the fan cut in at the initial updates and the recent update. It's never got too hot to hold, just pretty warm. I've never had the thermometer icon. On the whole I'm very pleased. The only negative is the yellow band down one side, but I'm afraid to replace it for that as it's awesome in every other regard and I don't want to end up with a worse machine.

bluegrass

I've had my i7 512 since 8-1. I've never heard the fan or any indication of over heating. Microsoft says the thermometer icon was a software glitch and that it never was true indicator of over heating. Like I said though, I've never seen it.

Of course there is throttling. I guess a lot of users don't realize that is engineered into the design of modern day computers to protect them. It's something that occurs on most all computers and not just the Surface computers.

Last edited:

macmee

Mine goes full retard when its updating but other than that I've had no heat issues.

Having said that, I don't play games on mine, and probably didn't need to even buy the i7.

double07

knocked on wood. I have NOT had any issue with fan, overheated, nor thermometer on my SF3 i7/256. The fan usually don't come on during regular usage. Fan came on during the 9/9 update and went away after the restart and complete the update.

I did have with Fan/heat issues when had the i5 version which I returned.

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I gave my i7 a strenuous test of high processor intense use within a few days of ownership and it was a bit scary, you can read about it here. It passed the test and I was very impressed :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have the i7 512 since Aug 1 with no icon, no overheating, and have never heard the fan.

I am its fan. ;)

Number crunching geophysics. Works great.

Last edited: