What's new

who's NOT upgrading to sp3?

CrippsCorner

The problem has to do with laws and regulations from where you are, and where the company is.
For example, all draws where you can win something in Canada, the province of Quebec, where I am, is ALWAYS excluded form it. And they are none in within Quebec due to the huge amount of red tape, and super high taxes to pay on the value of the product.
Sometimes you can find people doing a world wide contest, but in the majority of times, based on where the winner is, it is technically illegal, but because it is an individual doing it or at worst a tiny small company, its doesn't fall on the radar of authorities. But a company like Microsoft, could lead to huge penalties to pay, including their own lawyers, making that Surface that you won, not cost the price of the system, but rather hundred of thousands of dollars, even reach close to millions.

I understand that, it was discussed on here shortly after I originally posted up my experience! The thing that really annoyed me though, was that there was no mention of this before I went to the effort of creating my entry video. They contacted me on Twitter after I had won (which states I'm from the UK) and even that didn't trigger them to tell me the situation. It was literally only when I was filling out my claim form that I realised there was no address to select other than America!

By the way, I did actually get it in the end, as I got it sent to a friend out there in Washington who forwarded it on to me... but it did cost me £100 ($170) in shipping for my 'free' prize
yelling.png

OP
M

mtalinm

OK so here is my test-drive plan.

tonight I will pick up an i5/256 SP3 at Best Buy. they have a 14-day return policy. I will use it side-by-side with my SP2 and decide which one I like better. Either way I'll take this one back within the return window.

if I like it, then I'll trade in my SP2 at the Microsoft store for a similar model, transfer the Microsoft Complete warranty, and hold on to it until the i7/512 shows up (now 8/1!!!!) at which point I take advantage of the 30-day return window.

that'll leave me with an SP2 dock I can't use plus a few extra styli and chargers.

kundas1

I went into BB today to look at the SP3 and I gotta admit they look and feel awesome! but like the same reason I didn't buy the SP2 is the price, sorry I just CANNOT justify spending that much money for a tablet no matter how gorgeous they are... not when I can buy a gaming laptop for the same amount! sorry but I'm sticking with my S2 RT... I just wish they made an RT version of the S3....

GoodBytes

Sorry, but that is the price of a decent system.
Your gaming system that you are looking at, are cheap quality, overly large, and the battery life is such an abomination, the battery is more a capacitor than a battery. And yes, I have done my research.
In terms of same range of build quality, you have the Razor gaming system, but that is 2400$, and that still doesn't have a touch screen of any kind, not even a crappy one, and no digitizer, and is much heavier.
1500$ vs 2400$. That is one 900$ premium price for a GPU and a bit faster CPU (granted quad core).

kundas1

sorry I don't know where you're looking for gaming laptops but I have found some decent gaming laptops for $1200 and even found a great deal on one for 900 but it was refurbished but still a great deal none the less! I never look at those big name brands as they tend to go waaay over board on their pricing! *cough* alienware *cough* or razor and the likes... and with all the trouble that MS has been having with their devices being so unstable and problems with this and that, these are not premium devices.... sorry but they need to be more stable and trouble free to be labeled as "premium" devices

OP
M

mtalinm

Quite ironic that as OP I succumbed to the pressure and snatched an SP3 yesterday. The Best Buy sales guy promised me I could return it for any reason. Quick thoughts:

* It feels BIG. At first this felt quite awkward. After a day I think I'm mostly used to the size. And I think I could use this as a primary machine without external monitors, which simply wasn't workable (for me) with SP2.

* the pen attachment sucks rocks. That pen loop already fell off a couple of times and I almost lost the pen. Not good if I am planning to return this! On my SP2 I bought one of those Leuchtturm pen loops such that it was held in place and the pen locked in the charging port. Boy do I miss that setup now.

* there is indeed something magical about the thinness and weight distribution. It feels like my son's surface 2, even though it is bigger. Can't explain it.

* the magnetic connection between keyboard and surface is fantastic. No more bouncing around when using it on a lap.

* still trying to get used to the capacitive windows button on the side. It just looks weird for a device usually used in landscape mode. Maybe they should have put it on the side on the unit like I think the dell venue pro did (*could be wrong*)

* this would definitely have a harder time fitting in an airline seat. It's just bigger.

* portrait mode is no longer weird as it is with SP2. Inking up PDFs is lovely.

Still not sure whether I will keep it. Probably, but I dunno. If I do I'll swap for an i7/512

Knuck

From early reports the SP3 appears to be the ideal tablet for Alaska. It runs so hot it will heat your home. I can't imagine how hot the i7 will be given the reports of the i5.

Philtastic

sorry I don't know where you're looking for gaming laptops but I have found some decent gaming laptops for $1200 and even found a great deal on one for 900 but it was refurbished but still a great deal none the less! I never look at those big name brands as they tend to go waaay over board on their pricing! *cough* alienware *cough* or razor and the likes... and with all the trouble that MS has been having with their devices being so unstable and problems with this and that, these are not premium devices.... sorry but they need to be more stable and trouble free to be labeled as "premium" devices

The main point is that none of those were probably less than 4 pounds and smaller than 14". The only gaming computer in the ultrabook form factor is the Razor Blade: almost all others have integrated graphics. Almost every ultrabook is >$900 which is the category that the Surface Pro line is in, especially since it uses the exact same hardware as these larger ultrabooks but comes in the form factor of an admittedly thicker and heavier tablet. The value that many of us see in the Surface Pro line is a full computer that is even more portable than an ultrabook, one that can even be used in ways an ultrabook cannot, such as using it effectively while standing up or on a crowded bus, on those airplane tables with your drink still in the holder, bring it everywhere you go because it's significantly lighter than most ultrabooks, etc.

Now, I haven't actually looked through ultrabooks since December (when I got my SP2) so my info could be a bit out of date. If you can link to an ultrabook with dedicated graphics that weighs less than 4 pounds, I would be quite interested to see it and its price.

EDIT: So it seems like there might be a couple decent ones out at this point according to this - http://www.ultrabookreview.com/2071-best-gaming-ultrabooks/
However, some of them no longer exist (eg. the Lenovo U series with dedicated graphics, can't find it on their website) and many are over 4 pounds. Heck, I have a hard enough time as it is using the SP2 at 2.5 pounds (including keyboard) cradled in one arm: there's no way that I'd be able to carry some of these 3 pounders with one arm and effectively use it with the other arm while balancing the whole thing. In contrast, I play Civilization V and XCOM: Enemy Unknown standing up on the subway and Diablo 3 on the bus in tablet mode (admittedly, not as effectively as with a keyboard :p) tethered to my phone. That's something that a full ultrabook would have a hard time doing.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
From early reports the SP3 appears to be the ideal tablet for Alaska. It runs so hot it will heat your home. I can't imagine how hot the i7 will be given the reports of the i5.

Hyperbole eh? It gets no warmer than my Surface 2 or Pro 2....

kundas1

The main point is that none of those were probably less than 4 pounds and smaller than 14". The only gaming computer in the ultrabook form factor is the Razor Blade: almost all others have integrated graphics. Almost every ultrabook is >$900 which is the category that the Surface Pro line is in, especially since it uses the exact same hardware as these larger ultrabooks but comes in the form factor of an admittedly thicker and heavier tablet. The value that many of us see in the Surface Pro line is a full computer that is even more portable than an ultrabook, one that can even be used in ways an ultrabook cannot, such as using it effectively while standing up or on a crowded bus, on those airplane tables with your drink still in the holder, bring it everywhere you go because it's significantly lighter than most ultrabooks, etc.

Now, I haven't actually looked through ultrabooks since December (when I got my SP2) so my info could be a bit out of date. If you can link to an ultrabook with dedicated graphics that weighs less than 4 pounds, I would be quite interested to see it and its price.

EDIT: So it seems like there might be a couple decent ones out at this point according to this - Best 9 ultrabooks for gaming in 2014
However, some of them no longer exist (eg. the Lenovo U series with dedicated graphics, can't find it on their website) and many are over 4 pounds. Heck, I have a hard enough time as it is using the SP2 at 2.5 pounds (including keyboard) cradled in one arm: there's no way that I'd be able to carry some of these 3 pounders with one arm and effectively use it with the other arm while balancing the whole thing. In contrast, I play Civilization V and XCOM: Enemy Unknown standing up on the subway and Diablo 3 on the bus in tablet mode (admittedly, not as effectively as with a keyboard :p) tethered to my phone. That's something that a full ultrabook would have a hard time doing.

nice! you have made my point for me, these are over priced tablets that CANNOT perform like ultrabooks that you mentioned and selling them at an over inflated price like MS is doing, doesn't justify me or anyone else for that matter buying a TABLET that can't do as much as a gaming laptop or ultrabook...then why the over exuberant price tag? yes the pro 3 can do lots of things of things and it's powerful...for a TABLET which it beats ipads hands down IMO, but costs double too! what people aren't realizing is...IT'S A BLOODY TABLET! why price it more than a gaming laptop? see my point? these tablets should be only marginally more than an iPad since they can do more and is more stronger... BUT DOUBLE? sorry but I don't think so... also this is just MY OPINION and some others agree and some others don't and that's fine too, as long as you get my point, that's all I'm concerned with