What's new

Why Did You Buy Your Surface Pro and How Do You Use It?

faisdogg

Hey everyone! I bought my Surface Pro to replace an Asus EP 121 that wasn't cutting it any more as far as battery life and size. I was lucky enough that the company I work for qualified for that sweet Microsoft Partner discount so I was able to get the 128 GB Pro for $399. I also snagged a 64 GB RT w/ Touch Cover for $99 for my girlfriend.

As a tablet pc user for a few years now the battery life and portability of the Pro were huge factors for me (the EP 121 had awful battery life being a first-gen Core i5 and having a 12.1" screen). I was looking for a device that I could use for everything (school, work, recreation), and the Surface Pro fits the bill better than any other device I've owned.

Nice I got a 128 gig Pro, but can you buy me a $99 RT? :)

Ricolando

LOL. No we were only allowed to buy one of each and we had to used a coupon code from MS tied to our company. Apparently it was a one day deal because most of my coworkers weren't able to buy the next day. I was in the market for a Surface so I didn't hesitate as soon as my boss sent us the email!

CribDesigner

I use SoftPlan, which is a CAD program for residential design. I had owned an iPad, but found it to be mostly a toy (except for Square Register or similar programs). With the Pro, I now don't have to lug a laptop to the site to make changes and notes directly on my drawings. I had an older external USB DVD Rom drive that, to my delight, worked flawlessly with the Surface Pro and allowed me to load any software that I run on my desktop. I've even upgraded to the preview 8.1 which just made it more intuitive and improved the overall workings of the Pro. I'm looking forward to the integration of the Windows ecosystem into the three basic platforms (phone, tablet, and desktop). I'm sure there'll be growing pains as Microsoft makes this transition, but it will be worth it in the long run.

faisdogg

I use SoftPlan, which is a CAD program for residential design. I had owned an iPad, but found it to be mostly a toy (except for Square Register or similar programs). With the Pro, I now don't have to lug a laptop to the site to make changes and notes directly on my drawings. I had an older external USB DVD Rom drive that, to my delight, worked flawlessly with the Surface Pro and allowed me to load any software that I run on my desktop. I've even upgraded to the preview 8.1 which just made it more intuitive and improved the overall workings of the Pro. I'm looking forward to the integration of the Windows ecosystem into the three basic platforms (phone, tablet, and desktop). I'm sure there'll be growing pains as Microsoft makes this transition, but it will be worth it in the long run.

You can install bluestack software and run square register via Android app

bangsters

bought my SP to replace my asus zenbook and sony AIO. Right now I do all my work with this bad boy, from managing my datacenter to doing coding, occasional photoshop and illustrator, etc. This is one fine built tablet/PC.

I haven't tried it on games though, as I really don't play any games, but I think it'll do just fine. Was thinking of testing it with starcraft 2 but I just couldn't get any free time lol...

machistmo

Seriously, you don't believe that the inclusion/exclusion of the Start button makes/breaks Windows 8, do you?

The weekend I set aside to upgrade my laptop from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 8 Pro, you know what my priority was? To start Monday morning with all my apps up and running! I couldn't care less about touch or the Modern UI or the Start screen; I just wanted to have my apps up and running.

Okay, so the Start button was removed, but that didn't break any of my apps. A lot were already on my Taskbar and others I had to add to get around the missing Start button, but the most important thing was that my apps were running. Not only that, the environment was much more stable and it was a faster and more responsive OS.

Moreover, for the longest while after I successfully completed the upgrade, the only time I'd see the Modern UI/Start screen was briefly at boot or shutdown, because 99.999% of my time was spent in Desktop mode with my Desktop apps. The Desktop apps that were in my Win 7 Startup were also in my Win 8 Startup. As a result, I would boot into Desktop mode automatically. Regardless, the max it would take is one click to get back to the traditional Windows desktop but, as I'm sure is the case with a lot of pre-Win 8 setups, with certain Desktop apps in the Startup, there is no need for the click because you will get automatically booted into Desktop mode. Consequently, I fail to see how that can be considered as Microsoft forcing the Modern UI onto us.

I think Microsoft did a remarkable job implementing the Desktop personality into Windows 8. Once you're in it, with the exception of the missing Start button, it looks, feels and acts just like pre-Windows 8 and you need not continuously or frequently toggle back and forth between Desktop mode and the Modern UI.

Because I was able to fully concentrate on getting my Desktop apps up and running in Windows 8, I was able to leave any "playing around" and learning of the Modern UI to a later point in time. With previous Windows upgrades, after the upgrade, I spent a lot of my immediate time learning about the new OS. When I was fully settled in Desktop mode, that is when I took the time to start to play and learn the Modern UI. Without being forced into the new Windows UI as I was in the past with previous OS upgrades, I was able to start learning Windows 8 and the Modern UI on my own time.

You were in the minority on this issue and hence Windows 8.1. You may be the only person on the PLANET EARTH that thinks that "Microsoft did a remarkable job implementing the Desktop personality into Windows 8."

Nuspieds

You were in the minority on this issue and hence Windows 8.1. You may be the only person on the PLANET EARTH that thinks that "Microsoft did a remarkable job implementing the Desktop personality into Windows 8."
No, I don't think so at all.

I repeat: I upgraded and no one could tell that I was using Windows 8 except if they noticed there was a Start button missing. Apart from that, all my apps looked and functioned the exact same as they did in Windows 7. Yes, remarkable.

machistmo

We will then agree to disagree. The vast majority of users complained about the Windows 8 interface. They did so SO loudly, that Microsoft acted in direct response to these complaints. Hell they even put the start button back, something they said they WOULD NOT do. I think your opinions are impacting your ability to be reasonably objective in this situation. I repeat: Windows 8.1 is proof in the pudding here, though I fear it doesn't go far enough and may in fact be too little too late. Had they launched Windows 8 with all the changes they included in 8.1 I am CERTAIN it would have had a warmer reception. As it stands, I think we can say for sure that Windows 8, The RT and the PRO are %100 Complete and utter failures.

Mitchellvii was drooling over the Ativ-Q the other day and while looking at it in detail I noticed they tossed in push-button Android with that Device. Samsung is the Market leader in the handheld space and has a pretty good idea of where the markets are headed. What does it say to you that they added Andriod OS with a Windows 8 device? It tells me they are afraid that people will want to have at least some choice for Touch based apps and that they don't believe that the MS Store can or will provide this to the customers of that device anytime soon.

machistmo

No, I don't think so at all.

I repeat: I upgraded and no one could tell that I was using Windows 8 except if they noticed there was a Start button missing. Apart from that, all my apps looked and functioned the exact same as they did in Windows 7. Yes, remarkable.

The Desktop as an APP is remarkable?

CrippsCorner

Mitchellvii was drooling over the Ativ-Q the other day and while looking at it in detail I noticed they tossed in push-button Android with that Device. Samsung is the Market leader in the handheld space and has a pretty good idea of where the markets are headed. What does it say to you that they added Andriod OS with a Windows 8 device? It tells me they are afraid that people will want to have at least some choice for Touch based apps and that they don't believe that the MS Store can or will provide this to the customers of that device anytime soon.

It doesn't tell me this at all. It tells me that Samsung/Google are gradually trying to overtake the desktop environment as well as the mobile one... can't blame them at all can you! I wonder if Microsoft could force them not to.