What's new

Why do reviewers insist on including price of keyboard in review?

mtalinm

Hey don't include it for two reasons:

1) it lets them show a lower price for the tablet. I think the price of the keyboard is inflated ($129???) in order to make the tablet cheaper. They know everyone will buy the keyboard, so it is safe for them to shift the price in this way.

2) colors. You want them to pick a color for you? If it were bundled they'd have to have tons of SKUs for every disk/memory config + keyboard color. That would be dumb.

peter.van.haren

Seems common across almost all reviews, but then again often reviewers significantly copy each other. Personally I find the ipad-Surface comparisons an indication that many reviewers are doing poor reviews and simply missing the points that readers really need/want to know. Then again if their pressure caused Microsoft to start including keyboards at no extra cost (as if that would happen) , that would be great! Anyway, for now I'm happy the basic unit is cheaper and gives us the option to use any keyboard we wish.

jrioux

I personally think that all the harping about the S3 keyboard being a REQUIRED extra is just a bunch of crap. All Surfaces work just fine as tablets without their keyboards. I use both my RT and SP3 that way all the time. Because of the ability to use Surfaces without a keyboard or with either a USB or Bluetooth keyboard, making the Surface keyboard an optional extra makes sense.

Most reviewers also ignore the fact that the $499 iPad only has 16GB of storage while the $499 S3 has 64GB of storage. An iPad with 64GB costs $599. They also ignore the fact that the S3 also comes with a year of Office 365 included in its price. How can most of the reviewers also claim that the S3 is overpriced when Apple charges the same amount for an iPad with significantly less storage and no Office 365 subscription?

I personally think that the S3 is a bargain compared to the iPad.

Tsurugaya

If a reviewer compares it to an iPad then it should be on an orange to orange basis, not an apple to orange. Meaning no keyboard and no pen, and if MS marketing had been smart they would have included the pen since the iPad comes up short since it lacks a pen. If the reviewer insist on using the keyboard then the comparison should be to a MacBook Air. Obviously the Surface will probably come up a tad short when comparing 3rd party accessories, where Apple is head and shoulders above.

tubers

If a reviewer compares it to an iPad then it should be on an orange to orange basis, not an apple to orange. Meaning no keyboard and no pen, and if MS marketing had been smart they would have included the pen since the iPad comes up short since it lacks a pen. If the reviewer insist on using the keyboard then the comparison should be to a MacBook Air. Obviously the Surface will probably come up a tad short when comparing 3rd party accessories, where Apple is head and shoulders above.

Doesn't the S3 have better 3rd party acc. support by default due to mini DP, micro USB and full size USB specially compared to iPads?

zhenya

The difference is, IMO, that the iPad is generally used without a keyboard. The overall number of keyboards sold is tiny compared to the overall number of iPads. The vast majority of people who buy an iPad will never want a keyboard for it.

The Surface, however, is a different story when it is running full Windows with a legacy desktop. People expect to be able to use that desktop, and the reality is that the experience is much better with a keyboard and mouse. Heck, there are even programs out there that you can't interact with without a mouse.

I think that Microsoft is doing the right thing by not including it, but I also think they are shooting themselves in the foot by pretty much only advertising these devices with the keyboard, and pricing that keyboard at a very high level.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Companies are releasing a new iPad Keyboard or keyboard case on almost a quarterly basis. Some reviewers have nearly made a career of reviewing them. Yet you see nearly nothing from these companies for a Surface. I agree that you don't often see ipad keyboards in use but apparently lots are being sold. The reviewers always leave out the severe limitations and inconsistencies of iPad keyboards because they are fanboys. IMO there is a huge pile of unused keyboards lying around because they just don't work that well but people keep buying them hoping.

As far as the OPs topic... Reviewers have to do something to ensnare your trust and throwing the obligatory Surface keyboard should be free and costs too much line in is their angle. Who doesn't want a free keyboard. Right there with that is the obligatory mention of the 900 million write down. Funny though, I still see Surface RTs selling on website after website and for more than you'd think for such a dismal failure. :)

jrioux

...I agree that you don't often see ipad keyboards in use but apparently lots are being sold...
Actually, most of the people I see using iPads have a keyboard of some type. Of course, I only see iPads in a business setting.

One of the first things I did after buying my iPad 2 was to buy a keyboard. The keyboard worked fine, but was somewhat awkward and heavy. However, the keyboard and QuickOffice were essential to making my iPad more productive. I then graduated to an RT and finally a SP3, which are far more useful than my iPad. I still play with my iPad. It really is - and has always been - mostly a toy.

wolfpackfan

That are a lot cheaper alternatives for a keyboard besides the one Microsoft is selling. I like the Logitech BT keyboard myself. I agree the reviewers shouldn't include it in their comparisons. You can use the Surface 3 fine without one or you can get a cheaper keyboard. Plus I have an old Logitech USB mouse that works fine with it. If you are doing comparisons you should do them apples to apples as the saying goes.

jrioux

That are a lot cheaper alternatives for a keyboard besides the one Microsoft is selling. I like the Logitech BT keyboard myself. I agree the reviewers shouldn't include it in their comparisons. You can use the Surface 3 fine without one or you can get a cheaper keyboard. Plus I have an old Logitech USB mouse that works fine with it. If you are doing comparisons you should do them apples to apples as the saying goes.
Since you can't plug a USB keyboard or mouse into an iPad, how can you compare apples to apples?