What's new

Why does the Surface Pro 3 get a bad rap in the media? My take.

kristalsoldier

The best computer is the one you use.

No need to get offended if others don't like the SP3 as much as its owners do. On another thread, I used the phrase "I'm a Mac guy...", followed by genuine praise for the SP3, and where Windows 10 is headed. But more than a few IT people at my work saw that post, and gave me grief. On another forum, I got some flaming PM's so hot, that I think I heard my SP3 fan for the first time. :rolleyes:

I'm a Mac guy, and...
I'm a PC guy.

I'm a burger guy.
I'm a pizza guy.

I'm a father.
I'm an engineer.
I'm a grandfather.

I can be all these at once.

Love my SP3, and my Mac. The SP3 will do just fine, partly because of the people here at the positive, useful, well-lit and safe Microsoft Surface Forums, but mostly because it is a fine machine for its time. I do not believe the 'media' can stop its momentum.

You have a point there. But you also seem to underestimate the destructive potential that the media has.

Genghis Khan

I'm not inclined to believe what media reviews, ads, etc. say. I prefer to experience the issues first hand. I was not even affected with the loss of the start button. I'm a PC techie and I know honest and expert reviews from bad. Even today, some media tech editors can't differentiate hardware from software or if not miscues one for the other. Also, there are no longer pure truths in advertisement. Either ads are distorted or simply implied but not explicitly stated lest these invite lawsuits.

My own SP3 is coming this December and I have tried these at the office. Like any tablet, notebook or laptop it has its pros and cons as per user. And as long as any gadget can handle my current crop of productivity apps and can provide the same format and results then its usable and functional. However, comparing SP3 tablet to iPad tablets or to Android gadgets is like comparing oranges from tomatoes and vice versa. I would be interested to read though what accountants say how SP3 handles spreadsheets, architects and engineers on their CAD layout/load computing apps, teachers on the way it improves teaching, medical practitioners on medical apps, artists on their sketches, writers on word processing and other professionals as users have to say about a certain tablet rather than to read generalized reviews from tech web or mag editors.

raqball

I have not seen any negative reports in the media about the SP3. Yes there was the NFL and Election thing but of course that's going to be reported. Same is true when a celebrity tweets 'I love my Samsung' and its posted from an iPhone.

But Apple can't run Windows. I think that makes the SP3 superior to the Apple products, IMO.

Sure it can. I do it every so often on my MacBook. There are a few different way to run Windows on a Mac..

Last edited:

young blade

Everything gets bashed/trashed by the media as long if doesn't a apple logo on it.

I was one of the first owners of the Ipad 1 64GB wifi + 3G. I've never been so frustrated with a device before. Opening a big Pdf file resulted in a program crash due to insufficient memory. And there was absolutely no freedom (until I jailbreaked).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have not seen any negative reports in the media about the SP3. Yes there was the NFL and Election thing but of course that's going to be reported. Same is true when a celebrity tweets 'I love my Samsung' and its posted from an iPhone.

Sure it can. I do it every so often on my MacBook. There are a few different way to run Windows on a Mac..
She was probably talking about the iPad. seek to understand ...

OTOH running Windows on a MAC is like riding a bicycle without a seat or wearing your underwear on the outside, it just doesn't fit right.

Genghis Khan

The issue of software shortage in Microsoft Apps store should not include Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (SP3) tablet. Full blown productivity and game PC 32/64 bit software for desktop PCs and laptops can be installed in SP3 tablets - hence, the implied "tablet that can replace your laptop". To some considerable extent, SP3 is not dependent on apps in Microsoft app store like android tablets on Play store and iPad in iTunes apps store. Some media review outlets (intentionally or not) generalize SP3 cons with Microsoft Surface RT tablets.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The issue of software shortage in Microsoft Apps store should not include Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (SP3) tablet. Full blown productivity and game PC 32/64 bit software for desktop PCs and laptops can be installed in SP3 tablets - hence, the implied "tablet that can replace your laptop". To some considerable extent, SP3 is not dependent on apps in Microsoft app store like android tablets on Play store and iPad in iTunes apps store. Some media review outlets (intentionally or not) generalize SP3 cons with Microsoft Surface RT tablets.
The real issue here is the iPad is not usable without Store Apps and the Surface is, the rest is marketing and a marketing shaped mindset that you need them. However a Surface Mini would require apps designed for Touch First as the screen size would make legacy apps nearly unusable. This should also be true of any less than 10 inch screen.

However, the software available eventually will determine the overall success and the future is not in legacy apps but modern apps. Legacy app support is needed to bridge to the future unless you do not have a past.

OR maybe we will see .Net Apps on iOS soon. :)

mtalinm

keep in mind that Microsoft did a lot of nasty antitrust stuff in the 90s, which many people have not forgiven them for. Ballmer cleaned it up (settlements, etc) but that still eaves a bad taste in the mouth.

also, MS has always been associated with productivity whereas Apple with fun & whimsy. not too many Oracle lovers among the tech press, either, as their s/w is about productivity

raqball

I'm just a regular olé consumer but MS gets some negative points from me in a few areas.

1. I called tech support a few days ago and was on hold for almost 2 hours before a rep picked up. 2 hours is beyond ridiculous. I read somewhere that MS has laid off 10's of thousands of workers then I wait 2 hours on the phone? Maybe MS needs to train these laid off workers to answer phones.

2. This one still leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and is a head scratcher. I had MS complete coverage on my previous SP3. After selling the SP3 I attempted to get a partial refund on the complete coverage. MS could not find the purchase and kept transferring me around and around and around. At some point it was finally located. I received a phone call and an email from a supervisor on October 17th saying the refund was processed. Today is November 18th and guess what? It's never been refunded. I have several emails between the supervisor and I since I was told the refund was issued. I was continually told 'it's processing'. Finally, last week I asked for the transaction ID so my bank can track it. As of today, no response to that request.

The SP3 as a product is awesome but MS as a company is horrid in my limited experience.. I love the SP3 form factor and I will buy the SP4 I just don't expect much from them anymore after the purchase is made..

dstrauss

I disagree. Sure you have access to all the desktop programs but they are not optimized for a tablet. The availability of apps on the iPad really make the tablet experience better. Purely from a tablet perspective, it much more user-friendly to use HBO GO, Vitalsource Bookshelf, Banking, Google Maps, YouTube, etc with an app than to use IE to get to them...

first off what I like to point out to anyone is please try to install a full Mac APP/Game on an iPad, you can't so that's why the IOS app store NEEDS to be so robust because you have to download from the IOS store everything and anything to get it to work on the iPad... now for the SP3 you can install anything and everything on it and still have it portable and productive and media consumption...

I used an iPad for almost two years and everything I did with it was full of compromises. I do not have any compromises while using the SP3.

Apps... Most of the Apps that I used in my iPad already have a Metro version. Plus now I have billions of "legacy" software that I can use. I don't have any Web site that I can't open...

1. I've been shocked that I use my SPro3 in desktop mode, even as a tablet - despite smaller touch targets...

2. Why, because the applications and abilities are far superior to any mobile counterparts...

3. Why is the iPad App Store so much more robust and chock full of software, because the limitations of iOS forced them to break every application component into single digestible bites to fit the system limitations...

4. Keep the Metro side solely for media consumption, and lets keep making the desktop more touch friendly - tablet mode in itself is an arcane throwback to limited processors, memory, and storage...

5. I DON'T WANT A WATERED DOWN TOUCH FRIENDLY VERSION OF OFFICE - yes, it's a great idea for limited ability tablets and smartphones, but the best experience for a real Office user is Office 2013 on the Surface Pro 3.

B

B'midbar

At the SP3 launch event Microsoft handed out SP3 to jaded reporters and dared them that they would prefer it over using their MacBook Air's. This was bold claim and one that probaly backfired. It was unlikely they were going win over these people. Predictively the first round of reviews all unfavorable compared the SP3 to the MacBook Air. Microsoft marketing isn't great and the company needs to take a more humble approach. Fortunately, I think Satya is helping to company become more humble. I'm still not sure about the marketing but we'll see after the holidays. Finally, Windows 8.1 needs to go since its a damaged brand. The SP3 is first class hardware but Win 8.1 does it no favors.

What would do it favors? Windows 10?

Kif

What would do it favors? Windows 10?

Yeah, a positive launch of Windows 10 would help a lot. It's the same situation between Vista and Win 7. Things got a little dire until Win 7 came along and re-established the Windows brand. The windows App store really needs to be improved as well. However that's a chicken and an egg problem. Which comes first lots of users or lots of applications.

Last edited: