What's new

Why does the Surface Pro 3 get a bad rap in the media? My take.

Kif

This debate really shows what a difficult position Microsoft is in right now. While the flexibility that the SP3 offers is great I can't see a huge mass-market appeal if it offers an inferior tablet and laptop experience. As a laptop is offers a decent experience but is physically limited by the keyboard and not having a true hinge. As a tablet it excels with Modern UI apps however the selection isn't very good. I guess this is why executives make the big bucks.

kundas1

listen don't get me wrong, I WANNA see more apps in the MS store and I've always said there isn't enough stuff in the MS store , because more is better but I don't want/like when people DEPEND on them and associate the MS store like apple and google because those devices you have NO CHOICE to depend on the store... with the SP3 you have ALOT MORE CHOICE out there and to fall into the trap of the app store mentality is detrimental to the possibilities of the SP3 capabilities... that's all I'm saying. That's why I bought the SP3 along side my Surface 2 as to not be limited by the APP store. which I still use and luv my S2.. but my GF has commandeered that device LOL she just enjoys it so much over her ASUS Android device

kundas1

This debate really shows what a difficult position Microsoft is in right now. While the flexibility that the SP3 offers is great I can't see a huge mass-market appeal if it offers an inferior tablet and laptop experience. As a laptop is offers a decent experience but is physically limited by the keyboard and not having a true hinge. As a tablet it excels with Modern UI apps however the selection isn't very good. I guess this is why executives make the big bucks.

sorry but I find your view flawed, I like the keyboard VERY much on the SP3 rather than the hinge KB as it gives WAY more freedom... but I do agree this does put MS in a difficult position... as too many people are in the APP STORE mentality thanks to google and iPads. and I find that very frustrating to say the least.

raqball

What PC program can I use that is as well laid out, easy to use and has a similar gorgeous GUI as:
  1. MSN Sports
  2. MSN News
  3. Tweetium
  4. Package Tracker
These are just a few.

It's not that I have an app store mentality and it's more that I prefer these apps because they look good, they are easy to navigate quickly and they offer more features in some instances.

Nuspieds

Yeah, except that I think some of those executives weren't all that deserving and should give some of those bucks back. :)

Where I think Microsoft failed is that they, too, didn't see Windows 8/MUI as a transition. The OS was designed and presented as if people were going to instantly convert to it. Get real! When I upgraded to Windows 8 on my ThinkPad, it took me "forever" before I even bothered with the Start Screen. At startup, I was launching straight into the Desktop and that's where I spent all my time. It wasn't until I switched to the Surface Pro that I really started to use MUI apps.

But it is looking like Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been in that integration of historic UI functionality will be much more seamless than it was in Windows 8. Thus, it should be easier for people to transition to the new OS and then, from there, tap into the new OS features.

Nuspieds

sorry but I find your view flawed, I like the keyboard VERY much on the SP3 rather than the hinge KB as it gives WAY more freedom... but I do agree this does put MS in a difficult position... as too many people are in the APP STORE mentality thanks to google and iPads. and I find that very frustrating to say the least.
+1 regarding the detached keyboard! That's exactly what I love about the SP.

I bought the SP because I did not want a laptop or ultrabook; I wanted a tablet. Forgive me, but if my SP had a permanenty-attached keyboard, it would feel like a laptop/ultrabook and not a tablet.

kundas1

let me tell you that any app that is web based and you view on MUI app is watered down version... for example NETFLIX is horrible on MUI as they down't have as many movie selection as the web based and isn't as robust, also Facebook is another great example, too much missing from it and not as powerful... there is a couple of other ones which I can't think ATM... which is why I prefer any desktop version or web version to the MUI.

kristalsoldier

And also the pen! Especially when I'm on a plane in a cramped space, the mouse is not an option; rather, I turn to the pen.

I've gone on record numerous times for stating that I'm sold on the Modern UI and, slowly but surely, I continue to migrate to Modern UI apps. As soon as I find the Modern UI version (or functionally-equivalent alternative), I make the switch.

I find that some people just need to stop, think, and assess the state of the Windows world rationally. Let's say that even if Windows 8 and the MUI were runaway successes and there was 100% instant adoption, Desktop apps would still dominate; that balance isn't and wouldn't change overnight because we've had 30 years of Desktop UI apps. It's unrealistic to expect MUI apps to be the dominant type of apps in the near- or short-time; it will take a lot of time. Moreover, it should not be forgotten that some apps are most effectively- and productively-used with a keyboard/mouse; thus, rewriting them to be touch-centric would be counterproductive.

Those who purchase a Surface Pro (or any other touchscreen Windows type of PC, for that matter) should not expect the ability to abandon their Desktop apps overnight; this transition will take lots of time, so no need for the constant criticism regarding the number of apps in the Windows Store.

On the other hand, if you do want to transition overnight and use Modern UI apps exclusively, then buy the regular Surface device. Then it will be fair game for you to constantly complain about the number of apps in the Windows Store.

I agree with this and can relate to it at a number of levels from personal experience. For example, I could just as easily use Outlook for my mails and calendar needs. Leaving aside the fact that it would probably be over-kill, I have continued using the Mail and Calendar MUI app - yes, even though the Mail part of it is still sub-optimal in many ways. Similarly, I could very well use IE on the desktop, but I prefer to use the MUI version. In fact, in many ways, I think my use of the SP3 has been conditioned by my use of the Surface 2 (RT) and the original iteration. I have found that aside from Office and a couple of critical desktop apps, I rarely opt to use the desktop. That said, however, since quite a bit of my work involves using Office, I am on the desktop side for a major part of the day!

Would an MUI version of Office work for me and allow me to totally ignore the desktop side? At this point in time, no. Why? Because (1) the MUI Office will have to be virtually the same as the desktop Office - I am not sure it will be or that it even can be. And, (2) there are some applications that, I am quite sure, will not in the short-term ever be reissued in the MUI form. So, what I expect will happen is that the desktop side of things will gradually become less of a critical space for me.

Microsoft brings a lot of it on themselves by blasting the airwaves with ads comparing the SP3 with Apple products -- they'd probably do better to find a more reputable ad agency that can present the merits of the product on it's own -- let the consumer compare.

Are you serious? Some of the most celebrated Apple ads were the "I'm a PC" ads. And these (mostly incorrectly) held the PC accountable for 99% of user errors. When the population is so blinded by the bias, sometimes you have to point out that their savior of a product isn't perfect. I'm one who believes that each user has their own preferences, I would never blame a person for their preference. However, Microsoft is doing a FANTASTIC job at pointing out that for $2,000.00 you get a vastly inferior device in ANY Apple product.

Liam2349

I also didn't use the start screen initially. I didn't upgrade from Win 7 initially either. Only reason I upgraded was because apparently Battlefield 4 ran a bit better on Win 8 vs Win 7 as it supported a newer version of DirectX.

Even after upgrading, I didn't use the start screen until after I got my SP2. Until that point, I used Start8, and kept using it until earlier this year when I decided I didn't need a start menu anymore - whenever I'm looking for anything, software to launch or files, I mostly just type it on the Start screen, even though I have my tiles pinned to Start.

raqball

let me tell you that any app that is web based and you view on MUI app is watered down version... for example NETFLIX is horrible on MUI as they down't have as many movie selection as the web based and isn't as robust, also Facebook is another great example, too much missing from it and not as powerful... there is a couple of other ones which I can't think ATM... which is why I prefer any desktop version or web version to the MUI.

To add my Tablet user point of view.

Tweetium -v- Twitter on the Web: With Tweetium I can get notifications, ignore, mute and use TweetMarker. None of this is possible on the web Twitter page.

Package Tracker -v- The USPS, FedEx and UPS websites: With Package Tracker I have everything and all carriers located in one place. I get notifications and don't need to visit multiple web pages. I add a tracking number once and am done.

MSN Sports -v- ESPN.com: A quick glance at the live tile shows me scores from my favorite team without doing a thing. The GUI demolishes a webpage offering. The same for MSN News. A quick glace at the live tile and I get instant news.

Apps also sync data seamlessly between my SP3 and Windows phone which no webpage or desktop program can do.

I can go on but I guess this shows the difficult position MS is in. Everyone uses the SP3 differently and MS is challenged to meet everyone's different needs and use scenarios.

Me? I avoid desktop programs like they have the plague and will only use them as a last resort and if no app is available.

Last edited:

dniezby

I disagree. I think the SP3 is doing fine with comparisons. My son owns MacBook Air and I owned the IPad Air. My SP3 blows them out of the water. I can run soooooo much more than my iPad could. We don't have the apps because we can utilize the websites that iPad cannot. MacBook Air has NO apps. So, SP3 wins without a contest.